cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful App Spree (5 Approvals, $80k total)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Successful App Spree (5 Approvals, $80k total)

What started as an application for a single rewards card turned into a week long app spree resulting in 5 approvals and over $80k in additional trade lines.

HISTORY:
I recently refinanced my mortgage after rates dropped in June. A month after closing, I noticed that the old mortgage account reported that it was paid off/closed, but the new refinance hadn’t hit my report yet.

My scores jumped as a result of the initial mortgage payoff, and I figured my approval odds were at an all time high, so I started looking for new rewards cards and settled on the AMEX BCP and Cap1 Savor. Applied and approved instantly on both! Then I caught the approval bug, and started thinking maybe I could squeeze a few more approvals out of this.

APPLICATIONS/APPROVALS:

Fast forward a week, here’s where I ended up (in this order):

AMEX BCP: Approved, $20k
Cap1 Savor: Approved $20k
Barclays Uber Visa: Approved $15k
Discover IT Cash Back: Approved $3.6k
Credit Union Platinum Rewards Visa: Approved $25k
Citi Costco Visa: Denied, called but wouldn't recon due to too many inquiries

I pressed my luck at the end, which resulted in a denial. I figured it was a long shot but I was on a roll and applied anyway.

It’s the first time I’ve ever applied for more than one card in such a short period of time, and I now have several new cards that earn great rewards (not to mention hundreds of $ in SUBs).

If anyone would like other data points, I'd be happy to provide additional info!

Time to break out the gardening tools!
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Successful App Spree (5 Approvals, $80k total)

Very efficient spreeSmiley Wink Dont mind me and my love for Disco, im just a ToolSmiley Wink🛠🛠
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Very efficient spreeSmiley Wink Dont mind me and my love for Disco, im just a ToolSmiley Wink🛠🛠

Thanks AJC!  I'm hoping I'll start loving Disco too once I'm able to hit the luv button and get that CL up!

Message 3 of 15
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Good job on the timing and nice SLs with your approvals!  

Dwight Congrats.gif

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals and impressive SL's!   Enjoy those SUB's!!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LakeLife wrote:

Good job on the timing and nice SLs with your approvals!  

Thanks @RobertJ

It kinda just fell into my lap...I saw the email from CK about the old mortgage account being closed, and thought "What the hell?"

I'm kinda bummed about the Citi Costco denial, but it's not surprising since it was the last app after 5 other inquiries/approvals.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the approvals and impressive SL's!   Enjoy those SUB's!!

Thanks!  There were only cash SUBs on two cards ($250 w/ $1000 spend on the BCP, and $300 w/ $3000 spend on the Cap1.  Both within first 3 months).  Then the Disco has the double rewards for the first 12 months.  

Either way, I'm extremely pleased with the outcome!

Message 7 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

lots of APP's, Congrats!

Message 8 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

That's exhilarating and a lil' scary all rolled up in an $80K ball!  Wow-weeee congrats!!!!!  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

That's exhilarating and a lil' scary all rolled up in an $80K ball!  Wow-weeee congrats!!!!!  

Definitely a roller coaster of credit emotions, and it was a fun ride while it lasted.  Probably won't be riding again for another 24 months!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.