cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful credit card spree netting 100K total. Almost too successful?

tag
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

Successful credit card spree netting 100K total. Almost too successful?

I applied for 6 new cards over the weekend and was approved for them all. Two were instant decisions and 4  went pending which all resulted in required fraud identity. 

Before the spree, my accounts and credit were as follows: BofA spirit airlines 8K, Chase Saphire 8K, Capital One Quicksilver 8.2K (oldest credit line of 12 years), Citi-costco 8K, Amex Blue 20K (only reporting 11K due to credit line increase 20 days ago), Amex Delat 2K, Amex Platinum charge, SPG 1K. 

My credit scores were 730-740 and utilization 19%. Reported income: 130K

In order of applications and when approved:

Cap One Venture 30K approved 2 days later on Monday

Discover It- 20K Instant approval

Chase Amazon Prime 8.5K Instant

Bank of America Travel rewards 11K approved on Monday (seemed to match Amex)

US Bank - club Carlson Premier 15K Approved Tuesday (Today)

Chase Marriot 15K approved Today

I honestly was shocked with all approved and at such high limits. It appears the breaking point in achieving this was Amex passing 10K threshold. Capital one and all others were giving CLI of 1K on average with the exception of Amex Blue approving CLI request of 11K to 20K.

My credit scores were in the 500's 10 years ago and my profile was capital one, first premier, and HSBC. 

More importantly, I'm concerned about all these accounts updating and my creditors decreasing credit lines and or possibly closing. The above mention existing accounts were also from a spree and none were closed however not nearly the credit lines that these new ones are.

BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND OTHER MEMBERS, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? 

20 REPLIES 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Successful credit card spree netting 100K total. Almost too successful?

I don't know the answer to your question redwalker but I just wanted to congratulate you on a successful spree. WOWSA! I want to be like you when I grow up 😁

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals and awesome credit lines. 

Message 3 of 21
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Re: 100K Application spree. Accounts vulnerable to credit line decrease?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I too am interested in this.

I'm kind of in the same boat

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 4 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

IME.. I wouldn't sweat it. What good would it do to worry about it now? What's done is done. The lenders will do as they please and there's nothing you or I can do about it.
So enjoy your new cards. 😀
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. This is a whole different level. I love these posts
Message 6 of 21
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The only one to go nuts on a bunch of approvals is Barclay's which you didn't pick up so, you'll be fine.

I added about 50K a couple of weekends ago and didn't give it a second thought to the point where I closed 3 accounts to make up for picking up 3 accounts.

Just treat them right and everything will go well.  I'm kind of shocked by the 20K with Disco though since most of the time they're sub 10K even with prime profiles.  Hell they started me at $4500 with a ~760 scores.  They more than made up for it though in CLI's to a total now of $48K 2 years later.

One of the cards I picked up was BOA as well and went to make a $600 purchase at a local retailer and they shut it down for "fraud" and called me within a couple of minutes to confirm and then turned it back on.  New account + "big purchase" = temp suspend.... At least they didn't pull a Chase like a few years ago where they suspended it and didn't follow up with a phone call or anything and ended up having to call them to get it turned back on.

Chase Amazon might be more than 8.5K unless you already logged in and checked your real limit.  They tend to say approved to $5K and then you login and find out your real limit later on.

I kind of thought about USB for a split second but then backed out of it due to hearing some of the stories around here about dealing with them.  Plus none of the offers really did much for me.

Message 7 of 21
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

That makes me feel better!! I'm purchasing a new roof next month and plan on doing two seperate 5.5K purchases on both the discover and the venture just to show them turnover and use. Ill Make payments as soon as purchase posts. Hopefully this will curve any concern. 

Thanks again!!

Message 8 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great spree, lol, not your fault they approved them all Smiley Happy

At least now we know where all the Disco cli everyones been waiting for wentSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ok so you posted this twice. Thought I was going crazy when I didn't see my response in the other post. 😂

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.