Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suntrust MC Cash Rewards approval causes hives and stomach upset

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suntrust MC Cash Rewards approval causes hives and stomach upset

Yes, you read that right y'all. I was just 10 days from a gardening spade (I think bronze is the 3 month one, right?) and Suntrust emailed me their offer again.  0% apr for 15 months (which is fine, but I usually PIF) and no annual fee, and the one I was most excited about 5% back on gas and groceries and 2% on everything else.  Plus if you put the cash back into a Suntrust account there's a bonus 10% or 25% depending on your banking relationship with them (most likely mine will be the 10% since I only have their basic checking account).  And they provide a free Fico Equifax score which now means I'll get all 3 monthly (Transunion from Discover and Experian from American Express).  My starting limit is a little small, $2000 but that's the highest SL I've had since I started rebuilding in 2017.

So I should be HAPPY right?!  I'm not, I have HIVES, literal hives and my stomach started hurting the second I pushed the submit button.  I guess it's knowing my scores (around 683-688 all 3 agencies) are about to dive for the hard pull and dive even more  when that new account hits the books. Also, I'm not 100% sure I didn't take a hp for Synchrony to increase my Amazon Store Card last week. I haven't received any notifications so hopefully that's a soft pull.

I think maybe I should retire to the garden forever since I freak out about the score drops associated with new accounts. And I don't even know why, it isn't like I'm applying for a mortgage (ever I hope) or a auto loan (in 4-6 years after paying off student loans).  Folks alway ask, "how many cards are enough/too many" and I think I just found my personal answer:  When a apping causes hives and stomach upset, you have enough. Head to the garden!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suntrust MC Cash Rewards approval causes hives and stomach upset

Congrats on your approval and CLI! You will regain the few points you lose for the HP and new account in a couple months. Just enjoy your 5% on groceries and gas for the next 12 months. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card! Inqs stop affecting your score in a few months so dont mind them too much. Enjoy the card!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 13
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Take comfort in knowing the scores will rebound in 6 months or so...maybe even less.

Congratulations!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 4 of 13
Gokuva
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approval, and just imagine how bad it would have felt if you were denied! Be happy about your approval, take the 5% and your scores will go up in a few months. :cathappy.

Message 5 of 13
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! I would think you're in the clear by now on the Synchrony card though.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and very nice card !!!!

Message 8 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Mine just turned a year old. So the 5% gas/groceries is done. You get the EQ Bankcard 8 score.

bz.PNG

Message 9 of 13
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card! What credit bureau do they pull?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.