Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise BoA Approval...

tag
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Surprise BoA Approval...

After a couple of years of unintentional gardening, I went on a little app spree at the start October. Got a Cap1 QS (10K), Barclay CF (15k), and Citi Simplicity (9.9K). Then a couple of weeks later applied for a bunch of CLI on my older cards with success, DIscoverIT from 10k to 13.5K, Amex ED from 7500 to 8700, Amazon store 3600 to 5000, and Kohls from 600 to 1000. On a whim I decided to apply for a USAA Rewards Amex and was shocked they approved me for 10K, so I immediately applied for a CLI on my USAA Sig Visa and saw that get bumped from 5100 to 12k.

It was at this point I thought my luck had run out. I had apps for 6 other cards submitted and 4 of them were immediate denials,all for "too many recent applications" (Chase Slate, Citi Diamond Preferred, Cap1 Venture, and a Visa with my credit union of 14 years.  The other two were pended for further review (Barclay Ring and BoA BankAmericard).  Barclay came back after the full 10 business days with another decline (toomany recent applications), but the BoA was still sitting out there. A couple of other CLIs were also denied. At this point, I figured there was no chance on the BoA card.

Well, yesterday I received an email informing me that my BankAmericard was shipping... whaaaat???  Checked the status page, but it said that my app was still under review.  I logged into my BoA account (no banking or checking... just my car loan) and there was my credit card account, $3500 limit.

I'm kind of wondering if it ended up getting approved because of my 60 month car loan, which I actually just paid off two days ago with a perfect payment history.  Did they throw me a bone to keep me as a customer?

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Surprise BoA Approval...

If they did i would take it wrap it in a bow and drink my milkSmiley Happy

Congrats to all your successSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TaterDawg wrote:

After a couple of years of unintentional gardening, I went on a little app spree at the start October. Got a Cap1 QS (10K), Barclay CF (15k), and Citi Simplicity (9.9K). Then a couple of weeks later applied for a bunch of CLI on my older cards with success, DIscoverIT from 10k to 13.5K, Amex ED from 7500 to 8700, Amazon store 3600 to 5000, and Kohls from 600 to 1000. On a whim I decided to apply for a USAA Rewards Amex and was shocked they approved me for 10K, so I immediately applied for a CLI on my USAA Sig Visa and saw that get bumped from 5100 to 12k.

It was at this point I thought my luck had run out. I had apps for 6 other cards submitted and 4 of them were immediate denials,all for "too many recent applications" (Chase Slate, Citi Diamond Preferred, Cap1 Venture, and a Visa with my credit union of 14 years.  The other two were pended for further review (Barclay Ring and BoA BankAmericard).  Barclay came back after the full 10 business days with another decline (toomany recent applications), but the BoA was still sitting out there. A couple of other CLIs were also denied. At this point, I figured there was no chance on the BoA card.

Well, yesterday I received an email informing me that my BankAmericard was shipping... whaaaat???  Checked the status page, but it said that my app was still under review.  I logged into my BoA account (no banking or checking... just my car loan) and there was my credit card account, $3500 limit.

I'm kind of wondering if it ended up getting approved because of my 60 month car loan, which I actually just paid off two days ago with a perfect payment history.  Did they throw me a bone to keep me as a customer?

Wow!  Great success all the way around!  Whatever their reasons, doesn't matter, you're in! Smiley Happy Congratulations!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you get a CLI on USAA? They to my knowledge do not have links to request a CLI and they will not do it via phone uless things have changed in the last few months. Last time I asked I had to apply for a new card to get a CLI.

Message 4 of 6
TaterDawg
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How did you get a CLI on USAA? They to my knowledge do not have links to request a CLI and they will not do it via phone uless things have changed in the last few months. Last time I asked I had to apply for a new card to get a CLI.

Took some clicking around, but here's how I found it:

Next to your account name, click "I want to" and select "View All Options". On the next page, "I want to" is on the right side of the page, select "More Services".  Under "Services" you'll see a couple of options.  Under my Amex, I have "Stop Automatically Increasing My Credit Limit", while under my Visa it also has "Change Credit Limit".

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.