Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprising Home Depot Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising Home Depot Approval

I'm approximately 6-7 months post Ch13 BKR discharge.  I've gotten some decent approvals over the last 6 months on some cards and I'm working on getting my scores up there.  I was just approved for a Capital One Venture with 0% for the 1st year which really surprised me and made me realize I'm truly getting back up there with my credit after that little blemish.  

We're going to be doing some home reno's (small ones) here shortly and I was looking into Lowe's & Home Depot cards.  I didn't realize there was a pre-approval page for Home Depot and and sure enough, it said I was qualified!!  Well, I know there's some banks that are difficult to get into after discharge.  Chase is one of them (I burned them in BKR) and I knew Citi was another (not IIB) so I was really surprised at the prequal.  

I went and completed the application and was approved!  Only $500, but I'll take it!  Honestly, i was truly surprised to get in with Citi so soon after BKR, so it was a pleasant surprise!!  Granted, I can't do much with it, but I'll put some small purchases through it, PIF and see if it grows at all.

What has been your experience with CLI on Home Depot cards?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Surprising Home Depot Approval

Pizza had great success with Home Depot after a bk 7 and lots of cli's.

you can maybe try to credit line now to recon.

I know someone else that was approved for $500 shortly after a ch 13 and they have only tried the cli button once but it was declined for bk.

I think you need human sometimes on this.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes HD will have in store promos where they will increase CL with a purchase thats greater than your spending limit. Ask customer service to call it in.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got home depot a couple months ago, but all i can say about citi is that they are really annoying with identity verification

I had to physically go to the store twice (once with another CC to prove my identity on the report, and another time with a utility bill to prove my address)

Then they want to send me a verification code to my phone to prove THAT is also mine.

Both of our lines (cell and landline) are in my girlfriends name.  That led to massive headaches.

As it is, every time I try to do anything with this card they have been locking it and forcing me to reverify.

My Best Buy never does this -_-

Message 4 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Pizza had great success with Home Depot after a bk 7 and lots of cli's.

you can maybe try to credit line now to recon.

I know someone else that was approved for $500 shortly after a ch 13 and they have only tried the cli button once but it was declined for bk.

I think you need human sometimes on this.

@Creditaddict is correct!  LOL..

My BK7 was dc'ed 08/2013....Citibank, and Citi retail services both were IIB including a HD cc too.  In 03/2015 they approved me again for the HD cc $500 sl....it now sits at $15k! Citi retail side is much more lienient than its sister legacy side.  Hang in there...Dont get too frustrated, and I'll bet by one year your card is at least $10k!.  Buy something every couple months, and PIF....light bulbs, storage boxes, cleaning supplies, plants, etc...I can always find somethingSmiley Happy Congrats to you! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.