Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprising NFCU cashRewards result

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising NFCU cashRewards result

This is my first post since I started following these helpful forums on my way to credit rebuilding about 4 months ago, but I wanted to share my surprising (to me, at least) approval from NFCU today since I really did not expect it.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding and am sitting on embarrassing scores of 555 EX, 561 TU, and 554 EQ. I have no revolving credit lines open, but made it my #1 priority to get current on all open installment accounts in the past 3 months, which I did.

I was denied for a CapitalOne secured card 3 months ago, but today I was approved instantly for a $10,000 CL cashRewards visa from NFCU online. I had to call in to customer service to confirm it was right and wasn't a glitch of some sort. The original goal was to apply for a secured card with either DiscoverIT or NFCU today, but after reading some testimonials on here about NFCU approving those in the high 500's for unsecured cards, I went ahead and applied with success.

Just some background for those interested in possible approval factors:

- I've held a checking account with NFCU for 3 years, including direct deposit.

- I opened a money market savings account with NFCU 2 months ago.

- Annual income at $90k.

- No other CC accounts.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Surprising NFCU cashRewards result

Congrats on a great approval from NAVY CU.  They certainly treat people right and hopefully they get treated that way in return is their game plan.  Great SL for those score without a doubt.  Treat them well  and take care of your other issues suppressing your scores as they most likely won't magically go away and watch your scores blossom.  

Also welcome to the forums, nice to have a new face around.

Message 2 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats and as CreditCuriousity said, welcome to the forums! I think you forgot the mic drop at the end. That is a truly impressive approval and one heck of a jumpstart to your rebuild. Guess you won't be needing those secured cards after all. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your big approval . Looks like you laid some ground work having a checking account for 3 years. Enjoy your new card and welcome to the forumSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Apparently your relationship, and your good history with them paid off!!!

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. The goal is to ultimately get into the 800's in 3 years. I have quite an uphill battle, but I have a blueprint that I'm following and firmly believe in thanks to this forum. This was a pleasant surprise on the pathway there that I thought was worth sharing with the community.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and as CreditCuriousity said, welcome to the forums! I think you forgot the mic drop at the end. That is a truly impressive approval and one heck of a jumpstart to your rebuild. Guess you won't be needing those secured cards after all. Smiley Wink

lol - thank you. My credit scores are a joke, so I am a long way from the mic drop opportunity that I'm after, but this was a pleasant surprise that I had to share. I hope to join many of you in the 700 club in the future.

Message 7 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

lol - thank you. My credit scores are a joke, so I am a long way from the mic drop opportunity that I'm after, but this was a pleasant surprise that I had to share. I hope to join many of you in the 700 club in the future.

No, I was serious.  That's one of the absolute best approvals in your score range I have ever seen!  Now that your installment accounts are up-to-date and you have this wonderful card added to your arsenal, the only thing standing between you and the 700 Club is a bit of time.

Message 8 of 12
shoegal
Valued Contributor

That's an amazing starting limit! CongratsSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome, dsdyno21, and congratulations! That is a very impressive SL! Gotta love NFCU! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.