cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony bank approval ~

tag

Synchrony bank approval ~

Hi,

I was approved for a synchrony bank card to purchase a lovesac. The approval was only for $1500.00. I needed $3,000 to purchase my sofa. Since I didn't get enough can I just close the account when I receive the card? And since I've never used the card how bad will that hurt my credit if I close the account and not use it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Synchrony bank approval ~

@thegirlsmom511 wrote:

Hi,

I was approved for a synchrony bank card to purchase a lovesac. The approval was only for $1500.00. I needed $3,000 to purchase my sofa. Since I didn't get enough can I just close the account when I receive the card? And since I've never used the card how bad will that hurt my credit if I close the account and not use it?

Hello @thegirlsmom511, welcome to the forums and congrats on the approval.

You're certainly welcome to close it, but keep in mind this in it of itself will not prevent the account from reporting to the CRAs. In fact, most SYNCB accounts tend to report within 24-72 hours. So, the damage is done as there will be some impact to your AAoA for the new account.

Message 2 of 10

Hi

Thank you for the respond. What does AAoA mean?

Message 3 of 10
Trini88
Established Contributor

Average Age Of Accounts

Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@thegirlsmom511 wrote:

Hi,

1. You should call Synchrony and tell them you need a $10k starting limit, because you want to buy a $3000 item, and you don't want to hurt your credit score.

2. If you don't get the CLI, and have no use for the card, you should probably sock drawer it, rather than close it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 10
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your approval with Synchrony Bank! A lot of great advice has been provided here. Good luck with what you decide to do!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your path to a new Lovesac!!! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your approval, hoping you can successfully recon for a higher spending limit.

Message 8 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your Synchrony new approval! Maybe they can up that start line better for you.

Message 9 of 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the Sync approval 👍🏼

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.