cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The love is real at NFCU!!

tag
NewStart36

The love is real at NFCU!!

I am so grateful for this board! I have been lurking since Jan for tips on how to rebuild after, honestly, a very messy credit life. Starting my journey to take responsibility for my credit and stop blaming circumstances (of which I had plenty) has made me painfully aware of the gap between where I am and where I want to be. I have been working on it since January, and took the good advice here to open whatever I could get with Navy Federal ( all I could get was a secured $500), and was blessed enough to have a trusting family member to authorize me on non-navy a card with high limit and low balance that he pays off every month.  Folks, today I applied for Navy Federal go rewards with only a little over 4 months with Navy Fed (I use their checking and direct deposit about $6000 a month) and a little over 3 months with my secured rewards card which stays pretty close to the limit but I overpay the balance due every month. Listen when I tell you, I am at the bottom starting over with scores all between 530-545. I have been addressing collections, paying off when I can, disputing the rest, and more importantly have gotten real about holding myself accountable to my open lines which are a furniture account with Conns, my student loans, and my car which has a ridiculous interest rate with GM Financial. I have cried in the floor every time my score has taken a hit for some avoidable reason, frankly because now I care when I previously let circumstances like divorce, single parent allow me to deprioritize my finances. Today, I feel great because Navy Fed has cut me a break and given me a $7000 credit limit on an unsecured goRewards card! This is the most I've ever had on my own and I plan to guard it like Ft Knox!! I'm hoping to soon refinance this horrible car loan with them as well. I'm very hopeful. If you are doubting that all the pain of facing your credit behavior leads anywhere, I am proof today that it does! Join if you can!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: The love is real at NFCU!!

Congratulations on your awesome approval with Navy

Now.. just get that car refinanced! 😁
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 11
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Great approval with NFCU! I'm hoping to see some of that love in about two and a half months when I try for my CLI. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your $7,000 limit! NFCU is awesome and I am glad to see that some people are using their membership for more than just padding. I love my Cash Rewards card; it is my daily driver for non catagory spend. I will also be looking into NFCU for a mortgage someday. 

Keep up the good work! 

Message 4 of 11
iowe
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your recent success. Keep chipping away. I can relate to your story and I've managed to go from low 500's to 740's across the board in four years and honestly I wasn't steadily putting effort into it. Only sporadically here and there would I get my reports and work on something. I managed to pay all bills on time though. You can get to the 700 club much faster than I did if you stay on top of it and follow up with the people you have credit relationships with.

I thought when I reached the 700 club I would be content and stop but it's actually only motivated me to get to the 800's now. 😄

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 5 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

That's awesome Op congrats, you can and will get where you
Want to be just takes work and plenty of PATIENCE
Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job!. Its an amazing feeling when you csn see your progress and thankfully Navy is a great way to do itSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval with NFCU!!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 

Message 9 of 11
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

I missed out on joining NCFU, but it's nice to see so many who it has worked well for. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.