cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***UPDATE** Approved! (Been declined twice for BofA cash rewards for "no relationship with bank.")

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATE** Approved! (Been declined twice for BofA cash rewards for "no relationship with bank.")

So yeah I've been declined twice now for not having any relationship with BofA and don't want a checking or savings account with them, however they now own Merrill Edge and I'd be fine with buying some stocks with them. If I get an account and invest some money with Merrill Edge does anyone know for sure if that would count as a "relationship" with BofA? It seems like it would considering I see Merrill Edge is provided by BofA securities but I want to make sure because it would be a hassle to do all this for nothing.

Thank you so much! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Been declined twice for BofA cash rewards for "no relationship with bank." Would Merri

So here's my 2 cents...

Yes, a Merril Account is considered a relationship account with BofA so that would suffice the requirement. 

However, the card that your applying for typically does not have a banking relationship requirement as several people have been approved for one with no prior relationship. That being said, I would question if that's really the reason. Not knowing your profile or history may provide more details. 

In short, yes an ML account will meet that requirement if that's truly the reason they are declining you. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Been declined twice for BofA cash rewards for "no relationship with bank." Would Merri

Both times that was the reason but also I may have had too many inquiries both times.

At the moment I have around 750 fico and only 2 inquiries in the last 24 months with 0 inquired in the last 12. I'm afraid to apply nonetheless because the "relationship" was 1st reason they put down both times. 

Do you know who they pull from? 

Message 3 of 13
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

Did they send you mailers for the card or did you cold app? I didn't have a relationship with them and would continually receive pre-selected offers and often wondered if having a relationship with them would help.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just cold apped and was accepted for 3.5k for the BofA credit card! Very happy

Message 5 of 13
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just cold apped and was accepted for 3.5k for the BofA credit card! Very happy

Glad it worked out. Congrats!

Message 6 of 13
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Re: ***UPDATE** Approved! (Been declined twice for BofA cash rewards for "no relationship with

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 7 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your BoA approval🎉

Message 8 of 13
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your BofA approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Grats on getting in their credit door!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.