Did you mean: 

*UPDATE* NFCU nRewards CC Graduated Today - Data Points

tag
LifeIsAHighway
New Contributor

*UPDATE* NFCU nRewards CC Graduated Today - Data Points

*Update is at the bottom of this 1st post*

Hey all,

My NFCU nRewards card, opened on 11/04/2019 & secured with $500, graduated today. Card converted to cashRewards Visa with the standard $2,000 SL. I wanted to share some DP's regarding the graduation of my card as it wasn't exactly a seamless transition. I have used the card & PIF every billing cycle except the last one. Since I was approved for a cashRewards Visa Signature back on 02/28/2020, that card has become my daily driver & I stopped using the nRewards card.  My nRewards pmt was due each month on the 5th & the stmt cut/reported to the CRAs on the 8th. The 8th of May "should have been", to my knowledge anyway, when my 6th stmt cut. I logged onto my NFCU acct on both 05/09 & 05/10 and the last stmt for the nRewards card was reflected as stmt #5, which cut on 04/08/2020. I thought maybe there was a delay on the 6th stmt due to the Coronavirus. So, I called to check the status. The gentleman I spoke with was extremely nice, as usual, but was just as perplexed as I was as to why my 6th stmt didn't cut on 05/08/2020. He placed me on hold & called to speak with someone in the CC dept. When he returned to the line, he told me that in any billing cycle that there is a $0 bal & no activity at all during that billing period, no stmt will be issued. His words, "Nothing happened with the card in the last cycle, so we had nothing to tell you on a stmt." I then inquired about my secured nRewards card. Specifically, since no 6th stmt cut, would that prevent the card from graduating because it had not. After being placed on hold again so that he could call the CC dept again, he said that the only info they would tell him was that the card would be reviewed monthly & I would notice the money deposited into my savings whenever it graduated. I thanked him & h/u.

The more I thought about it, the more confused I became. So, later that evening, I called again. Another nice gentleman confirmed (without having to call the CC dept) that the info given about $0 bal w/no activity in the cycle = no stmt. I explained to him that I just wanted to understand how that impacted my secured CC graduating. I told him that, fortunately, I haven't been financially impacted by the C-Virus & so this wasn't a matter of needing the $500 being held as security for the card. I just wanted to know if I needed to do anything (such as start using the card again) to nudge it toward graduating. His opinion was, "Use the card at least one time in this current stmt cycle & then PIF. This will cause a stmt to be generated on 06/08/2020 which will be the 'official 6th stmt' & that may cause the card to unsecure." Sounded good to me so I thanked him & h/u. Yesterday, I checked to make sure nothing had changed & it had not. So, I used the nRewards card to put gas in my car. Then...wait for it...when I checked this morning, the card had graduated and the CL was increased to $2000. I honestly have no explanation of why but just wanted to share my experience here. Maybe using the card yesterday prompted it to graduate today??? Maybe processes/products are lagging behind because of the C-Virus??? I really have no idea. However, I recommend to those that have a secured nRewards card with NFCU, continue using it every month so that a stmt is cut, until it graduates. I hope that this will be helpful info to someone.

P.S. - I sent a secure message to NFCU asking for the CL to be increased from $2k to $5k since I already have another CC with them with an $11k limit. No response yet & I'm not holding my breath. But, you get nothing if you don't ask.

*UPDATE*Smiley Happy

First, I just want to thank everyone for the "congrats", feedback and Kudos given. I think I've named everyone here so I'm sorry if I missed anyone. @M_Smart007 , @collics , @coreyb80 , @Johnnyxx91 , @EverForward , @gdale6 , @pt91978 ,@19eighty5 , @UH_HUH , @Bowiefan. A special shout out to @coreyb80 & @pt91978 for the advice about just applying for a CLI instead of waiting for a response to the secure message I sent. It was successful!Smiley Very Happy I logged into my acct earlier today & requested an increase from the $2,000 CL I was given. I asked for the CL to be raised to $5,000. About an hour & a half later, I logged back in to check the status. My CL had been increased to $4,500!!! So, ultimately, I went from a $500 secured nRewards card to a $4,500 unsecured cashRewards card within a 48 hr period. That gives me two cashRewards cards with Navy with a total combined CL of $15,500. Feeling lots of Heart for NFCU right now! Thanks again to ALL of the amazing people here on MF!!! I will be at 105/3 on the cashRewards Visa Signature card on 06/13/20. Not sure yet if I will apply for a 3rd card at that time or take a break. Just happy to be where I am at the moment. Wishing each of you much success in your financial journey as well.Smiley Happy

*** HOPING EVERYONE IS STAYING SAFE & WELL IN THIS STRANGE NEW WORLD THAT WE NOW LIVE IN

** SCROLL OVER ANY OF THE IMAGES BELOW FOR DETAILED INFO **

LOANS:

CREDIT CARDS:

Total CC CL $90,650 + HELOC CL $25,000 = Total CL $115,650

Ch7 BK Filed 10-29-2018
Ch7 BK Discharged/Closed 01-30-2019
Mortgage Reaffirmed in BK - Perfect Payment History Since Purchase

Fico 8 Scores - 04-2024

Fico 9 Scores - 04-2024
23 REPLIES 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU nRewards CC Graduated Today - Data Points

Congratulations on your graduation and CLI!

Message 2 of 24
LifeIsAHighway
New Contributor

Thanks AllZero ! Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel.Smiley Very Happy

LOANS:

CREDIT CARDS:

Ch7 BK Filed 10-29-2018

Fico 8 Scores - 04-2024

Fico 9 Scores - 04-2024
Message 3 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@LifeIsAHighway wrote:

Thanks AllZero ! Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel.Smiley Very Happy

No need to apologize. It was very informative. I read it all. Smiley Happy You provided great data points for members to learn from. It could use a paragraph or two. Make it easier on the eyes.

Message 4 of 24
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU nRewards graduation and CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 24
LifeIsAHighway
New Contributor

Thanks CreditAggie ! It has been a journey but days like today make it worthwhile.Smiley Happy

LOANS:

CREDIT CARDS:

Ch7 BK Filed 10-29-2018

Fico 8 Scores - 04-2024

Fico 9 Scores - 04-2024
Message 6 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations! ..

Message 7 of 24
collics
Established Contributor

Congrats!

IA this was great info for those that have this card.

Looks like to ensure graduation is not delayed they need to ensure a  purchase is made so a stmt is cut.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 8 of 24
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the graduation.  Also, you can reply for a CLI via the app/website as well as it may be a little quicker than waiting for a reply to your SM.  

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and thank you for the data points. Earlier this year I acquired the secured card as a work around to get a third card from navy fed. During my rebuild, it proved a little difficult to get a third card. So when my score started to improve and I recieved the offer I hopped on it. 

Hopefully I will have more datapoints to provide the community in two months to help build a better picture for the secured card graduation. 

Cheers 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.