cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Unsecured Graduation and Visa Cash + !!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank Unsecured Graduation and Visa Cash + !!!!

I was discouraged when no one responded to my post asking for info about graduating a US Bank Secured card...so I decided to take the plunge myself.  With the card about 23 months old, TransUnion FICO score 692, $500 limit, I requested the upgrade on a Friday.  Monday, I saw a hard pull on TransUnion, and on Tuesday in my US Bank App, there was a red banner at the top saying "This Account is inactive or has been closed, it will be removed from the system shortly".  Sure enough, the new card showed up in the app a day or two later, and the following week, I got the Visa Platinum card and a check for $500.  It went WAY easier than I thought it would!

I had been reading on here about US Bank being difficult to get approved with, and how conservative they were, etc., but that it pays to have a relationship with them.  So, I decided to open up the Gold checking account (free, since I already have a credit card) with a $25 deposit.  During the account opening process, a popup appeared that said "You are prequalified for a US Bank Credit Card, Choose the Card that's right for you", with check boxes beside either the Cash+ credit card or the Cash 365 American Express card, with a $1500 limit for either one, and the statement "Accept this offer".  I was so excited (and the checkboxes beside each card were the round radio buttons, which implied either/or) that I didn't see whether or not I could get BOTH, and I didn't really want the American Express card anyway.

I got another hard pull on TransUnion.  Within a day, the new credit card showed up in the app (along with the checking account and check debit card), and the credit card came yesterday...$1500 limit as they said.   

One weird thing: even though I've activated the card and picked my categories (for me, it was fitness and cell phones, so I can always get 5% off my gym membership and cell phone bill), the credit limit doesn't show up in the app yet.  Any experience with this, anyone?

So far so good with US Bank.  I'm thrilled to have been approved for a card after all the things I've read about them being so conservative.  Thought I'd share my joy with the world.  :-)

Thanks for the advice that I DID find (about setting up the checking account, etc.)...can't remember the handles but it was on here.  :-)  @Djgrolyos   If you read this, it was your posts that helped the most!  :-) 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Unsecured Graduation and Visa Cash + !!!!

Congratulations on the graduation and new approval!!!! 

Message 2 of 27
steel_string
Regular Contributor

US Bank won't show the limit for Cash+. It'll only be on paper communications and your credit report.
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steel_string wrote:
US Bank won't show the limit for Cash+. It'll only be on paper communications and your credit report.

Or ... you can call the telephone number on the back of your US Bank Cash+ Visa and work the prompts (you will get the phone computer voice) to find out your credit. They don't tell you about this option but it works if you need to know.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work...Congrats!!

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wired765 super congrats on your US Bank visa graduating & your cash+ visa approval, that is just awesome!!! Thank you for the data points! 😊
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I'm a huge fan of UsBank. Be sure to keep checking for more preapprocals. I have had 4 since opening my Checking and now have both lines of credit they offer and 2 CCs. Be good to them and they will be good to you. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@steel_string wrote:

Or ... you can call the telephone number on the back of your US Bank Cash+ Visa and work the prompts (you will get the phone computer voice) to find out your credit. They don't tell you about this option but it works if you need to know.

That's bizarre.  Even more so because the credit limit shows up in the app for the Visa Platinum, the most benign card ever.  Lol. Thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats. I'm a huge fan of UsBank. Be sure to keep checking for more preapprocals. I have had 4 since opening my Checking and now have both lines of credit they offer and 2 CCs. Be good to them and they will be good to you. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous, @Anonymous!! Smiley Happy.  What are the lines of credit like, and what's the difference between them?   How do they work?  A little naive here about those.  

So now I have a newly minted Visa Platinum with a $500 CL and a Cash + with a $1500 CL.  Any advice for credit limit increases and timing?  I've heard to not request more than $1500 at a time to avoid a hard pull.    True?  What about timing?  Any advice is appreciated.   I've dug around on here but the advice seems old and I'd like to put some more current info in one place on this thread for the next person.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE. I logged in this morning to my US bank app, and there was a $2.41 statement credit for the Annual Fee (that I don't have to pay now that my secured card is now a Visa Platinum)....Remember I graduated it about a month before the 24-month mark. #smiling. Still looking for advice about CL increases and info about the lines of credit...
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.