Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA & Disco Approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA & Disco Approvals

Well, after my NFCU Amex MoreRewards approval ($9,100 SL) 3 months ago and an NFCU Flagship Rewards approval ($20,000 SL) just last week, I went against my better gardening judgement and app’d for a USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex and was instantly approved for $2,000 SL. Sooooo, in a fog of approvals I went right to Discover and did the prequal. It popped up with an IT and Chrome offer, so dummy here with no discipline applied for the IT and was approved for a measly $800 SL. I applied about 5 days ago and no HP from Disco yet. Low SL, but I’m happy to be back with Disco though!

Back story: About 8 years ago I had some unfortunate things happen that led to some cards being maxed out and ultimately CO’d. I had two Amex, one Disco, and a Cap 1...all with CL ranging between $1500-2500. Well, everyone but Amex has a short memory and has let me back in, but I’m working to get off of that dreaded Amex “list”.

Here are some vitals:

EQ: 632 TU: 632 EX: 637

1 collection

Car loan with no lates

Several lates years ago on student loans, but nothing recent

Recent inq: 6/3/7

AAoA: 4 yrs

Oldest account: 11 yrs

Income: $45+

I have several other lower limit rebuilder cards (Merrick, Cap 1 QS1 and Plat, USAA Secured Amex) that were reporting $0 balance and the NFCU MR was at $50 at time of all app’s. All cards are always paid on time and don’t usually carry much of a balance despite high usage, which is mainly on the MR Amex. 

Less than one year ago I was in the mid 500’s at the beginning of my rebuild, but I’m slowly getting back in shape. I’ll now take my new toys and head to the garden for a bit to let these cards mature and see what I can grow.

One last thing, I just did the Cap 1 upgrade link and it offered to upgrade my Platinum to a QS, but it will have the same CL and APR as my Platinum. I went ahead and did it, and will move my QS1 into the QS when I can. 

NFCU Flagship VISA: $20k

NFCU MR Amex: $9.1k

USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex: $2k

USAA Amex Secured: $700

Discover IT: $800

Cap 1 QS1: $400

Cap 1 Platinum: $500

Merrick: $1200

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA & Disco Approvals

Congrats on your recent approvals! 

Message 2 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your new cards!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow .I can't believe you got a $20k flagship with ur profile and income (similar to mine)  gives me hope for the future. I plan on chopping up several cards in the next 6 months including Wal-Mart,dillards, and combining my cap1 cards .I have no need for them as I now have better rewards cards w higher limits . maybe in a couple years ill try for the flagship .Thanks for sharing. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Wow .I can't believe you got a $20k flagship with ur profile and income (similar to mine)  gives me hope for the future. I plan on chopping up several cards in the next 6 months including Wal-Mart,dillards, and combining my cap1 cards .I have no need for them as I now have better rewards cards w higher limits . maybe in a couple years ill try for the flagship .Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks, me neither! I did run about $4k through my NFCU MR in three months and never went over about 5% util., so maybe they saw I can meet large obligations. Who knows really. I don’t have a lot of expenses, so it helps in keeping my util down. How’d you manage that $10k Disco? 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luck of the draw I guess lol .Honestly I have no idea. I almost fell over when they told me over the phone. So much in fact that I called in again the next day to speak to someone else to make sure they werent mistaking 1k for 10k haha. Was denied by them 2 months prior so don't ask the tricks because I don't know what did it for them in between those two months. Nothing had changed at all except for a little age of course. Still. How you go from denial to 10k is beyond me .

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy Just goes to show Navy goes above and beyond. Sort of like Discover, irregardless of profile, they both seem to go different directions at any given time to different profilesSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
CongratsSmiley Happy Just goes to show Navy goes above and beyond. Sort of like Discover, irregardless of profile, they both seem to go different directions at any given time to different profilesSmiley Happy

Thanks. Yeah, no kidding. I’m happy to be where I am though.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Luck of the draw I guess lol .Honestly I have no idea. I almost fell over when they told me over the phone. So much in fact that I called in again the next day to speak to someone else to make sure they werent mistaking 1k for 10k haha. Was denied by them 2 months prior so don't ask the tricks because I don't know what did it for them in between those two months. Nothing had changed at all except for a little age of course. Still. How you go from denial to 10k is beyond me .

That’s really interesting. Glad it worked out for you! I was the same way with the FS $20k approval. I looked at the screen in disbelief and said to myself, “Hmmm, I think they meant $2000, not $20,000”. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.