Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable Target CLI

tag
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Unbelievable Target CLI

So I’ve had my target card since August 2016 and always got small CLI’s. Started at $300, then had to wait forever to get $600. Then starting last year they came every 3 months.
$900
$1200
$1700
Then another 3 or so months up to today and
$6000!
Couldn’t believe it!
What’s my trick? Well as you know you can’t ask for a CLI from good ol’ TD Bank. I use the card EVERY month but NEVER pay off the entire card. Always, always carry a balance with this card. Every month pay a little more than the minimum and update your income before the statement cuts every month. Typically my CLI came every 3 months.

Hoping since the big CLI came I’ll get the MC?
Can anyone chime in on this?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unbelievable Target CLI

I don’t really think that advising people to not pay their cards in full is sound financial advice but congrats on your CLI successes.
Message 2 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t really think that advising people to not pay their cards in full is sound financial advice but congrats on your CLI successes.

It's basically been proven that letting a balance post along with updating your income, even if it hasn't changed, will trigger the increases. I started receiving them after 4 years once I started doing it.

OP: I just hit $1200 this week. Now I'm looking forward to 6 months from now. 😁

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's basically been proven that letting a balance post along with updating your income, even if it hasn't changed, will trigger the increases. I started receiving them after 4 years once I started doing it.

OP: I just hit $1200 this week. Now I'm looking forward to 6 months from now. 😁

OP isn’t just letting a balance post, OP is never paying the card in full. Big difference between the two. 

Message 4 of 13
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

To get a CLI yes it is necessary. You don’t have to follow my rules if you don’t want to. Totally up to the person, just know your card will stay at whatever limit it’s at for a long time. Best thing to do is pay the statement balance to avoid interest but carry something (have to shop every month) to trigger the possible CLI.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atst2000 wrote:
To get a CLI yes it is necessary. You don’t have to follow my rules if you don’t want to. Totally up to the person, just know your card will stay at whatever limit it’s at for a long time. Best thing to do is pay the statement balance to avoid interest but carry something (have to shop every month) to trigger the possible CLI.

Okay but paying the statement balance IS paying in full. The way I took it was you were recommending to always carry a balance which meant paying interest, especially since you said something to the extent of “pay a bit more than minimum” - if you’re paying the statement balance then that is the standard way of using a card. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on a really nice CLI!!
Message 7 of 13
JaseT
Established Contributor

@atst2000 wrote:

I believe it is a YMMV situation. My card started at $1k. I let a balance report for the first 2 months (PIF after the balance reported) and then the next 2 months I PIF before statement cut. I updated income each month. After my 4th statement, they gave me an increase of $600. I don't consider 4 months to be a 'long time.'

So, no. Carrying a balance is not a requirement to receive a CLI.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations. They have upgraded your card to the MasterCard. 

@atst2000 wrote:
So I’ve had my target card since August 2016 and always got small CLI’s. Started at $300, then had to wait forever to get $600. Then starting last year they came every 3 months.
$900
$1200
$1700
Then another 3 or so months up to today and
$6000!
Couldn’t believe it!
What’s my trick? Well as you know you can’t ask for a CLI from good ol’ TD Bank. I use the card EVERY month but NEVER pay off the entire card. Always, always carry a balance with this card. Every month pay a little more than the minimum and update your income before the statement cuts every month. Typically my CLI came every 3 months.

Hoping since the big CLI came I’ll get the MC?
Can anyone chime in on this?

Congratulations. You got the upgrade. 

Message 9 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Whatever works for ya! Congrats! You have indeed grown that card beautifully! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.