Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Disco Love

tag
wwinter
Contributor

Unexpected Disco Love

Completely out of the blue yesterday I got an email from Discover informing me that my CL had been increased from $1,000 to $8,000. Bear in mind, I've had this card for 6 years and only twice ever asked for CLIs which were declined both times (with FICO scores in mid 600's).  Funny thing is, even with the generously expanded CL I still just don't have much use for this card. Is it just me or does it seem like Discover has the worst MR programs around? Data points if you're interested... they did a soft pull on TU which came back at 688. I have (had) 37% UTI and AAoA is 7 years. After I finish refinancing my house (with PenFed and truly an outstanding experience FWIW) I'm going to request CLIs on my other cards. Post refi I'll have 0% UTI and scores in the low 700s. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Unexpected Disco Love

Being 6 years old it might be time to shop for a PC to a newer version for starters.

7K bump means they like you now Smiley Happy

1%/5% spend cashback can be dismal depending on how your other cards work but, Disco offers some premium coverage on your purchases similar to AMEX.  Not to mention the flurry of 0% BT offers and usually a chat with them can get you a 0% for 12 months on purchases as well.  Give them a little attention and it goes a long way in building things up.

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats! Disco is funny ...

The people that want the cli dont get it ,the people who dont need it or want it get it, go figureSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 5
wwinter
Contributor

After I close on my home refi (June 5) I will probably do a PC to the IT card. But even there... I'm still not really blown away by the MR and the overall terms. I can get 21 month 0% APR on purchase and BT from CITI. I'm probably more inclined to get an Amex BCP card next than truly bother to use the Discover card. Amex has been great to me lately... I have for my business both the Platinum and Gold cards. The Gold card because I get 50,000 bonus points after spending $5k in the first 3 months (did that in the first 10 days and paid it off already) and 3x points on domestic shipping up to $100,000 per year (my company does more than that every year so I will max out that reward). The Platinum card is for major purchases. They offered 75,000 points on $20k spend in the first three months. I'm about to buy a company car with the card (have a 3% loan from PenFed to cover the purchase) so will hit that number easily. The Amex points will add up to well over 400k points in the next 8-12 months. That makes for a pretty nice family vacation every year. The Discover card seems to be far more limited in terms of overall reward levels. Viva la Amex!

Message 4 of 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wwinter wrote:

After I close on my home refi (June 5) I will probably do a PC to the IT card. But even there... I'm still not really blown away by the MR and the overall terms. I can get 21 month 0% APR on purchase and BT from CITI. I'm probably more inclined to get an Amex BCP card next than truly bother to use the Discover card. Amex has been great to me lately... I have for my business both the Platinum and Gold cards. The Gold card because I get 50,000 bonus points after spending $5k in the first 3 months (did that in the first 10 days and paid it off already) and 3x points on domestic shipping up to $100,000 per year (my company does more than that every year so I will max out that reward). The Platinum card is for major purchases. They offered 75,000 points on $20k spend in the first three months. I'm about to buy a company car with the card (have a 3% loan from PenFed to cover the purchase) so will hit that number easily. The Amex points will add up to well over 400k points in the next 8-12 months. That makes for a pretty nice family vacation every year. The Discover card seems to be far more limited in terms of overall reward levels. Viva la Amex!

Amex certainly will be a better fit for your then Discover in your case and you spending level and business expenses as Discover will never be able to compete with Amex on CL's for businesses.. You should check out the brand new business blue preferred card amex that came out. a few days back.. 2x mr on all purchases up to 50k a year and if you look or ask amex they have a 20k mr sign-up bonus and its a 0 AF card which is even better if you love MR's!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.