Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unplanned App Spree - Big Success!

tag
jimmy2000
New Contributor

Unplanned App Spree - Big Success!

So I was doing some online back to school clothes and supply shopping and got some pretty typical sign up offers so did an unplanned app spree for some store cards and a BECU Visa.

Offers were pretty typical - usual 20% off your first purchases and an Amazon GC. Obviously this isn’t that good, but hey, I’m down to save some money on clothes.

Amazon Prime Store Card - $3100
GAP Visa Card - $1500
Nordstrom Visa Card - $1000
Express Next - $500
BECU Boeing Cash Back Visa - $7500

I am not too concerned with inquiries atm, as I now plan to (and will) garden for the next 24 months, remove all inquiries, SP CLI’s and age accounts. I will also probably close the Nordstrom, Express and GAP accounts after the holiday season is over.

That was a big and unexpected success. I need to stop...haha
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unplanned App Spree - Big Success!

Grats on all the approvals and yep its time to garden Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
althes
Frequent Contributor

I would keep open the GAP and Nordstrom Visas.

They are good visas.

Nice sales every once in a while.

Message 3 of 11
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!!!

Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

At least it wasnt 9 months afterSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
KELSTAR
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approvals.

I would suggest not doing an app spree again.

Build up AAoA and app once every 3 months if your credit profile means anything to you.

I have watched the forum for about two years and monitored that to my own experience. Unless you have a deep file of credit, it seems to me, that low starting limits abound on app sprees. IMO and IME, it is soooooo much better to apply every 3 months. 

Income, DTI ratio, and banking relationship means A LOT with these big banks that offer cards with exceptional benefits. The better you are on these the higher starting lines and thus never have to worry about them agin.

I started a little over 2 years ago getting hard pulls for a mortgage and 5 new credit cards. Dumb mistake before knowing better ALL AT ONCE. I closed a few low limits and cards I really didn't care about. 

I started a business last June providing contract nursing. Opened a Chase business checking account. They did not approve my request for $50,000 LOC for payroll as a new business. Had to use a factor company for a bit. They did approve a $14,000 Ink Cash Visa. CLI to $19,600 a few months after with about $5,100 in spend.

Saying that, a year or so later with sporadic new accounts, every Chase card is pre-approved in branch, both personal and business, to me and the first one I took was the Freedom Unlimited card with a pre-approval in branch. SL was $24,100. 

As many have said and I hope this makes a dent on a new entry. Take some time and plan it out.

Tke care all!

Signature as of 10/01/21. Clean file. MYFICO 3B. I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin for those tracking what credit bureau is pulled by location.
FICO 8 EQ=796 TU=799 EX=801
FICO 9 EQ=816 TU=816 EX=813
MORTGAGE SCORES EQ=773 TU=782 EX=787
AAoA=4Y3M AoOA=11Y4M AoYA=5M
VANTAGE SCORES EQ=825 TU=813 EX=813
BUSINESS CREDIT SCORES. Formed LLC 6/1/18. YEARLY SALES=3M
EXPERIAN BUSINESS CREDIT SCORE=77 EXPERIAN FINANCIAL STABILITY RISK RATING=1 SMALL BUSINESS SCORE SERVICE SCORE=210 D+B=80
HARD PULLS last 12 months EQ=1 TU=1 EX=1 Three new accounts reporting.
HARD PULLS last 24 months EQ=1 TU=2 EX=2 Four new accounts reporting.
INCOME=$290k as of 10/01/21 for income stated on applications. DTI=2.5% Business sales 300k monthly.
MAIN BUSINESS and PERSONAL BANKING=CHASE
MORTGAGE=800K 03/21 2.25%
INSTALLMENT LOAN. Vehicle loan opened 08/18. Zero down. 45K at 0% for 60 months LINCOLN FINANCE.

OPEN PERSONAL ACCOUNTS/OPEN DATE
DISCOVER=34k 10/17 CITI COSTCO VISA=16k 06/18 US BANK CASH+=7k 06/18 PENFED PLATINUM REWARDS=10k 07/18 CHASE FREEDOM=10k 07/19 CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE=14.1k 09/20 AMEX PLATINUM= NPSL 04/21 AMEX HILTON SURPASS=10k 05/21

OPEN BUSINESS ACCOUNTS/OPEN DATE
CHASE INK CASH=10k 07/18 AMEX MARRIOT BONVOY=10k 02/19 CHASE INK UNLIMITED=10k 09/19 US BANK BUSINESS CASH=29k 10/19 WELLS FARGO BUSINESS PLATINUM=20k 11/19 AMEX LOWES BUSINESS=15k 11/19 AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS=35k 02/20 CHASE INK PREFERRED=50k 07/20 AMEX BUSINESS GOLD=NPSL 09/20 AMEX BUSINESS PLATINUM=NPSL 05/21 CHASE BUSINESS LINE OF CREDIT= 225k 09/21
Message 6 of 11
jimmy2000
New Contributor

@KELSTAR wrote:

Congrats on the approvals.

I would suggest not doing an app spree again.

Build up AAoA and app once every 3 months if your credit profile means anything to you.

I have watched the forum for about two years and monitored that to my own experience. Unless you have a deep file of credit, it seems to me, that low starting limits abound on app sprees. IMO and IME, it is soooooo much better to apply every 3 months. 

Income, DTI ratio, and banking relationship means A LOT with these big banks that offer cards with exceptional benefits. The better you are on these the higher starting lines and thus never have to worry about them agin.

I started a little over 2 years ago getting hard pulls for a mortgage and 5 new credit cards. Dumb mistake before knowing better ALL AT ONCE. I closed a few low limits and cards I really didn't care about. 

I started a business last June providing contract nursing. Opened a Chase business checking account. They did not approve my request for $50,000 LOC for payroll as a new business. Had to use a factor company for a bit. They did approve a $14,000 Ink Cash Visa. CLI to $19,600 a few months after with about $5,100 in spend.

Saying that, a year or so later with sporadic new accounts, every Chase card is pre-approved in branch, both personal and business, to me and the first one I took was the Freedom Unlimited card with a pre-approval in branch. SL was $24,100. 

As many have said and I hope this makes a dent on a new entry. Take some time and plan it out.

Tke care all!

Ultimately, you're right.  The App Spree probably wasn't the best choice long-term.  But I have zero credit needs for the next 2 years anyways, I'm in school.  I'm gonna let the inquiries wear away, close 1 or 2 of the store cards, and let my profile age and get SP CLI's.  Even though the store cards are low starting limits, it's not a huge deal, I don't buy enough for utilization to be an issue.  I don't care, and will never care about my relationship with the big banks.  I had a chase checking account in high school, and it was terrible in comparison to what I have now. I get way better service, ATM reimbursement and a lot more from BECU over Chase, and the Boeing Cash Back Card has the same rewards as freedom unlimited + it's Visa Signature.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!  But watch the store card apps, IMO they are not worth the inquiry and temp score drop.  The Visa has a nice SL, congrats!

Message 8 of 11
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Wow, quite the spree!fairly odd congrats.gif

AU

Message 9 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@jimmy2000 wrote:
So I was doing some online back to school clothes and supply shopping and got some pretty typical sign up offers so did an unplanned app spree for some store cards and a BECU Visa.

Offers were pretty typical - usual 20% off your first purchases and an Amazon GC. Obviously this isn’t that good, but hey, I’m down to save some money on clothes.

Amazon Prime Store Card - $3100
GAP Visa Card - $1500
Nordstrom Visa Card - $1000
Express Next - $500
BECU Boeing Cash Back Visa - $7500

I am not too concerned with inquiries atm, as I now plan to (and will) garden for the next 24 months, remove all inquiries, SP CLI’s and age accounts. I will also probably close the Nordstrom, Express and GAP accounts after the holiday season is over.

That was a big and unexpected success. I need to stop...haha

Yes you do and the unplanned part shows. You quite literally ran over Synchrony Bank with those credit requests. Regardless what the issuers were happy to give was rather good spread with high offers where it counts.

In the end it might be unplanned but it is better than a string of denials so congratulations.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.