cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Approved Best time to app for Chase Freedom?

tag
CreditWarriorOne
Established Member

Update: Approved Best time to app for Chase Freedom?

I've had a slow burn app spree since October in which I've been approved for (in order) Chase FU ($8k SL) --> Capital One SavorOne ($8K) --> Ducks Unlimited ($4.5k). Prior to this spree I hadn't apped for any cards in several years, so that puts me at 3/24. Income mid-five figures.

I still want to do the Chase Freedom, but after reading so many horror stories about Chase shuttering accounts, I know it's best to wait a while. So far I am thinking about applying in February, and I imagine that any SL I could get with that card would be on the lower end because of Chase's tendency not to extend credit lines beyond 50% of one's income (already have an Amazon Sig Visa that cuts into that).

Anyway, does that strategy make sense? Second post; appreciate the assistance, y'all!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Best time to app for Chase Freedom?

Feb sounds good. Your FICO score might rebound a bit since your AoYA hits 3 months again 

Message 2 of 12
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

If you can wait til May I believe it would be best but if you can wait it out 

Message 3 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

I’m in almost exactly the same boat as you. Income 65k, and just picked up 3 cards between 9/24 and 10/16. Freedom is the next card on my radar and I, too, am at 3/24. It seems that many a wise member on here have told me to wait a minimum of 6 months (12 would be better) and see where I stand. I’m going to wait out at least 6 months after my last approval.

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 12
CreditWarriorOne
Established Member

Well, I was a bit trigger happy on the apps and applied for the Freedom about one month after my Ducks Unlimited approval. I was initially put down after I didn't get an instant approval - that's the first time that's ever happened to me!

*But,* I logged into my Chase account today and suddenly saw a Freedom card on my list of products! I guess I must have been approved by an actual person? Low limit at ~$2.5k, but I anticipated that given the higher limits of my other two Chase cards. It looks like I don't have the sign up bonus, so I guess I am precluded from that given I reached it on the Freedom Unlimited?

I think the reason I was able to get approved is because Chase in general has been my primary bank for almost a decade now. As of now I don't have any plans to complete the trifecta yet but I wanted to have the first two cards in case I ever get the urge to do so.

That said, I am done with apps for at least the next 6 mos. - a year. Since October, I've been approved for the Chase FU, the CapOne SavorOne, the Ducks Unlimited Visa, and now the Freedom. Time to garden.
Message 5 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 6 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditWarriorOne wrote:
Well, I was a bit trigger happy on the apps and applied for the Freedom about one month after my Ducks Unlimited approval. I was initially put down after I didn't get an instant approval - that's the first time that's ever happened to me!

*But,* I logged into my Chase account today and suddenly saw a Freedom card on my list of products! I guess I must have been approved by an actual person? Low limit at ~$2.5k, but I anticipated that given the higher limits of my other two Chase cards. It looks like I don't have the sign up bonus, so I guess I am precluded from that given I reached it on the Freedom Unlimited?

I think the reason I was able to get approved is because Chase in general has been my primary bank for almost a decade now. As of now I don't have any plans to complete the trifecta yet but I wanted to have the first two cards in case I ever get the urge to do so.

That said, I am done with apps for at least the next 6 mos. - a year. Since October, I've been approved for the Chase FU, the CapOne SavorOne, the Ducks Unlimited Visa, and now the Freedom. Time to garden.

Congratulations!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!
Message 8 of 12
CreditWarriorOne
Established Member

Re: Update: Approved Best time to app for Chase Freedom?

I guess it takes a day or so for the Chase system to fully update whenever an app is approved manually because I just checked and I *do* have the signup bonus attached for the Freedom. Even more excited now! Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 12
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Re: Update: Approved Best time to app for Chase Freedom?

Congrats!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.