cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Approved: Should I Recon Bank of America (Secured)

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Recon Bank of America (Secured)?

Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 22
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Anonymous  probably your high UTL. you can always call and the can explain why you were declined and you can ask for a recon. It doesnt hurt to try.

It does not hurt and you already took a HP for it   At the least you may be able to gather additional information about their decision. 

Message 12 of 22
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just wanted to update this.  Not sure if it's actually useful or not, because apparently I'm the only one that missed the 2/12 rule.  Oops.  I'm at 5/12, I think.  2/6.  Anyway, I opened a savings account and stuck enough in it to avoid the fees.  I was going to wait a little bit longer, but oh well.  I applied for the unsecured Cash Rewards, just because the SUB would have been nice, but I didn't figure there was actually much chance for that. I saw that they tend to counter with secured/partially secured, so felt okay about going that route.  EX went up by one point, 667.  I received the counter for the $99/500 partially secured, which I accepted.

I also got approved for $1000 NFCU CLOC tonight.  Smiley Very Happy

And now I really do need to garden.  But it was a couple pieces of good news in an otherwise horrible, terrible day/week, so I'm thankful for that.

Thank you for sharing 👍... and I did forget about the 2/12 policy of theirs! 

Oh and... congrats on t your approvals!

Screenshot_20200818-090608.jpg

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Congrats ! 

I know I am late to the game. Could you please explain the 2/15 5/12 BofA rule? I am a banking/savings preferred rewards customer and have a secured and an unsecured credit card with them. Just curious. 

Message 14 of 22
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!!

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vmc726.  I mistyped, it's actually 3/12.  From my understanding, if you have 3 or more new accounts within the last 12 months (I think this only applies to revolving accounts like Chase, but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that) and no banking relationship with BofA, it's an automatic denial.  However, if you have a deposit account with BofA, they up the limit to 7 or more new accounts in 12 months.  Since I think I've had 5 new accounts over the last 12 months (I regret a couple of those, but they were before better approvals), that's why I opened the savings account, so that I could apply under the 7/12 rule instead.  In my case, it was worth it to get that card.  I live in a very rural area, so do a huge percentage of my shopping online, so that 3% back is really handy.

If I'm off on any of that, hopefully someone will correct me.

Thanks all!!!

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and I thought this was a bit interesting.  It didn't occur to me until today, but they haven't done a new hard pull yet.  I didn't ever call about the original application, just reapplied yesterday.  So, unless something changes, they must have automatically used the pull from 2 or so weeks ago. Maybe they usually do that, but I've never had anything with BofA before, so I was a little surprised when I realized that.

Message 17 of 22
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, and I thought this was a bit interesting.  It didn't occur to me until today, but they haven't done a new hard pull yet.  I didn't ever call about the original application, just reapplied yesterday.  So, unless something changes, they must have automatically used the pull from 2 or so weeks ago. Maybe they usually do that, but I've never had anything with BofA before, so I was a little surprised when I realized that.

That is a plus... so, good luck with the SP and let hope it remains this way from you!I 👍

Message 18 of 22
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Vmc726.  I mistyped, it's actually 3/12.  From my understanding, if you have 3 or more new accounts within the last 12 months (I think this only applies to revolving accounts like Chase, but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that) and no banking relationship with BofA, it's an automatic denial.  However, if you have a deposit account with BofA, they up the limit to 7 or more new accounts in 12 months.  Since I think I've had 5 new accounts over the last 12 months (I regret a couple of those, but they were before better approvals), that's why I opened the savings account, so that I could apply under the 7/12 rule instead.  In my case, it was worth it to get that card.  I live in a very rural area, so do a huge percentage of my shopping online, so that 3% back is really handy.

If I'm off on any of that, hopefully someone will correct me.

Thanks all!!!

Their rule is supposed to be just for their accounts. No more than 2 BoA cards in 2 months, 3 in 12, 4 in 24. What you do outside of them doesn't matter to them other than maybe a credit seeking flag on the report, but it isn't a hard criteria like Chase.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 19 of 22
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.