Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Discover Approved - Best Card for a financially responsible 18 year old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Discover Approved - Best Card for a financially responsible 18 year old

I added her to one of my cards as an authorized user in March 2019. She has done well and spent very little and always repaid perfectly. As of today she has her first official fico score. It is 713 per Experian.com. Her Equifax and Transunion havent generated yet. Any idea of a good card for her to get in her own name to keep her credit history building and on the rise? She has a job and is a fulltime student. Doesnt pulldown much, maybe 12-14k a year. 

She is very financially responsible thus far and has been taught the importance of paying in full and paying on or before the due date if possible. Makes me proud that she is handling the learning curve and new found resposibilities so well. Perhaps it has been me and her mom telling her if she messes it up she will regret it because everything gets so much harder and much more expensive. 

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Best Card for a financially responsible 18 year old

Despite that score, her report is still thin. She should prequal with the usual suspects. Cap1, disco, and amex. She may still need to start with a secured card. Disco would be my choice.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Despite that score, her report is still thin. She should prequal with the usual suspects. Cap1, disco, and amex. She may still need to start with a secured card. Disco would be my choice.

I was thinking Disco as well. Disco prequalified her however Capital One will not prequal anyone under 21 years of age and Amex didnt prequal her for anything yet. 

Message 3 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Bank of America cash rewards? They also have secured $99 deposit for $500 credit line. Should be Experian hard pull depending on your state. Secured card can graduate quickly in 5-6 months.

Is she a member of NFCU? If not, have her join and let her membership marinade until her TU is reporting.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Student It is pretty much guaranteed and Cashback match is really good so definitely should go for that. Make sure to use a referral link and get the $50 bonus! She could also try for Cap One Journey which can easily product change to QuickSilver in a few months. Then just age those 2 for a year along with your AU card and she should be golden for most cards.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

She was approved tonight for Discover IT using a referral link. SL is $1,250. Not too bad for starting out. 

Message 6 of 9
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Congratulations to her!
AU

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! the Student it gives a good grade bonus of $20 statement credit almost immediately. I got my card and my balance was -$20 right off the bat. Also, when she graduates her credit line will increase and she can PC to whatever card suits her from what I understand. 

Message 8 of 9
Keatonsdaddy
New Contributor

That's awesome, Good starting card and decent SL for such limited history!!! I remember when I got my first credit card at $300.....Smiley Frustrated

CITI DOUBLE CASH || CAPONE QS || DISCOVER IT || AMEX BCP || CHASE FREEDOM UNL || US BANK CASH+ || AMAZON PRIME VISA || TARGET || WALMART || HUNTINGTON VOICE || BANK OF AMERICA || FIRESTONE || BEST BUY || Apple Card
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.