Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Unexpected AMEX Platinum Approval

tag
SilentOne

Very Unexpected AMEX Platinum Approval

Quick approval story to warm people's hearts, haha

Short version of backstory: Had a bit of a "financial apocalypse" in 2016/2017 and had a metric ton of things go into collection (plus a repo). Credit nosedived into the 500 range (meaning, around 500) and was about as toxic as you can get. I started working on things around 2019 and eventually got my score into the 600 - 700 range. 

In the time since, I've paid off all collections, but quite a few are still on reports. I did a couple of secured cards for a while, eventually opening Apple (Goldman Sachs) $1,000 CL, Citi Double $2500 CL, Credit One $500 CL, Credit One AMEX $900, and Capital One Quicksilver One $3,000 CL. 

For no obvious or good reason, Citi abruptly closed my account a few months ago (citing "changes in credit report"), even though I'd been paying the balance down to zero weekly. Having had been with them on a secured card for several years with no issues (...oh yea, they randomly closed that one on me too), I was especially pissed that they closed both accounts for no logical reason and swore them off for life. 

With wounded pride, I did the I did the online preapproval circuit to see if I could get a replacement rewards card and was a "bit" surprised when AMEX came up with the Platinum.

Remember, my credit reports are still pretty wounded with old stuff (two of which are AMEXs). When I'm on sites like Nerd Wallet / Karma, the only recommended cards are the garbage subprime ones. Plus, I'm not even preapproved for the lower tiered AMEX cards. So getting pre-approved for their nearly top one was odd to say the least. 

Since I don't "need" credit any time soon, my current strategy is to build up good cards and get them to start aging. And with the AMEX Platinum as my eventual goal card, I don't mind the hard inquiries. I applied. Sat in "pending" mode for a good week. Assumed I had about a 1% of getting approved given everything and then got an email saying it had been approved. 

Granted, I'm assuming someone was working from home and their cat probably stepped on the keyboard, but I'll take it!

I've had it for about a month now and use it for everything, pay it off weekly. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Very Unexpected AMEX Platinum Approval

Grats on getting the platinum approved and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

AA is not anything new around here, happens all the time. Some banks like Citi are more proactive about it than others are.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

Message 2 of 29
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the new unexpected Platinum Amex approval!

Message 3 of 29
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!! 

Message 4 of 29
CloudyWeather1331
Regular Contributor

Wow! Congrats on your approval! Smiley Happy

-
Message 5 of 29
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval and also all your credit rebuild progress! 

Message 6 of 29
Islandhopper91
Established Member

Congratulations on your approval. I also got approved for a platinum card with a low 600 fico score last May.  Also worth mentioning I was a AU on high limit Amex for 3 years prior. I was shocked I got approved. In a few months try for a revolver, it will most likely be a sp approval. I kept mine open about 4 months and then got one of the delta cards. 

Message 7 of 29
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your AMEX Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 8 of 29
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Big congratulations! I think Amex SEEMS to be more of the more forgiving lenders. Probably because they have big AFs Smiley Very Happy, which I fully utilize and don't mind paying. 

Message 9 of 29
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Platinum approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.