Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Unexpected AMEX Platinum Approval

tag
Irv02
Established Contributor

Re: Very Unexpected AMEX Platinum Approval

Congrats on your Amex Platinum approval!!

Message 11 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SilentOne wrote:

Quick approval story to warm people's hearts, haha

Short version of backstory: Had a bit of a "financial apocalypse" in 2016/2017 and had a metric ton of things go into collection (plus a repo). Credit nosedived into the 500 range (meaning, around 500) and was about as toxic as you can get. I started working on things around 2019 and eventually got my score into the 600 - 700 range. 

In the time since, I've paid off all collections, but quite a few are still on reports. I did a couple of secured cards for a while, eventually opening Apple (Goldman Sachs) $1,000 CL, Citi Double $2500 CL, Credit One $500 CL, Credit One AMEX $900, and Capital One Quicksilver One $3,000 CL. 

For no obvious or good reason, Citi abruptly closed my account a few months ago (citing "changes in credit report"), even though I'd been paying the balance down to zero weekly. Having had been with them on a secured card for several years with no issues (...oh yea, they randomly closed that one on me too), I was especially pissed that they closed both accounts for no logical reason and swore them off for life. 

With wounded pride, I did the I did the online preapproval circuit to see if I could get a replacement rewards card and was a "bit" surprised when AMEX came up with the Platinum.

Remember, my credit reports are still pretty wounded with old stuff (two of which are AMEXs). When I'm on sites like Nerd Wallet / Karma, the only recommended cards are the garbage subprime ones. Plus, I'm not even preapproved for the lower tiered AMEX cards. So getting pre-approved for their nearly top one was odd to say the least. 

Since I don't "need" credit any time soon, my current strategy is to build up good cards and get them to start aging. And with the AMEX Platinum as my eventual goal card, I don't mind the hard inquiries. I applied. Sat in "pending" mode for a good week. Assumed I had about a 1% of getting approved given everything and then got an email saying it had been approved. 

Granted, I'm assuming someone was working from home and their cat probably stepped on the keyboard, but I'll take it!

I've had it for about a month now and use it for everything, pay it off weekly. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Congratulations. Yeah, those cats on the keyboard can work wonders.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 29
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your AMEX Platinum Approval @SilentOne 

Message 13 of 29
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Platinum approval 👍🏼

Message 14 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SilentOne wrote:

Quick approval story to warm people's hearts, haha

Short version of backstory: Had a bit of a "financial apocalypse" in 2016/2017 and had a metric ton of things go into collection (plus a repo). Credit nosedived into the 500 range (meaning, around 500) and was about as toxic as you can get. I started working on things around 2019 and eventually got my score into the 600 - 700 range. 

In the time since, I've paid off all collections, but quite a few are still on reports. I did a couple of secured cards for a while, eventually opening Apple (Goldman Sachs) $1,000 CL, Citi Double $2500 CL, Credit One $500 CL, Credit One AMEX $900, and Capital One Quicksilver One $3,000 CL. 

For no obvious or good reason, Citi abruptly closed my account a few months ago (citing "changes in credit report"), even though I'd been paying the balance down to zero weekly. Having had been with them on a secured card for several years with no issues (...oh yea, they randomly closed that one on me too), I was especially pissed that they closed both accounts for no logical reason and swore them off for life. 

With wounded pride, I did the I did the online preapproval circuit to see if I could get a replacement rewards card and was a "bit" surprised when AMEX came up with the Platinum.

Remember, my credit reports are still pretty wounded with old stuff (two of which are AMEXs). When I'm on sites like Nerd Wallet / Karma, the only recommended cards are the garbage subprime ones. Plus, I'm not even preapproved for the lower tiered AMEX cards. So getting pre-approved for their nearly top one was odd to say the least. 

Since I don't "need" credit any time soon, my current strategy is to build up good cards and get them to start aging. And with the AMEX Platinum as my eventual goal card, I don't mind the hard inquiries. I applied. Sat in "pending" mode for a good week. Assumed I had about a 1% of getting approved given everything and then got an email saying it had been approved. 

Granted, I'm assuming someone was working from home and their cat probably stepped on the keyboard, but I'll take it!

I've had it for about a month now and use it for everything, pay it off weekly. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Welcome to myFICO @SilentOne, and great job on scoring the Amex Platinum! screamer.gif

I had to giggle a bit at "someone was working from home and their cat probably stepped on the keyboard" since I've felt the same way about a few of my own approvals, LOL!  Smiley Very Happy

Again, congrats!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 29
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I sometimes wonder about our perspective on these banks and their products. I'm with @greatscott85 , as long as you pay them that $650 to start out every year, they'd love to allow you the privilege of carrying their card. 

Or perhaps I should say allow "us" since I've got one too.

Message 16 of 29
SilentOne

Thanks everyone! Another question....assuming I'll want to stay in the AMEX ecosystem, what is the ideal time to wait? 

I was thinking July (6 months). 

Message 17 of 29
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval! It's a great card if you travel a lot and I mean a lot. Otherwise if you don't and it being a charge card it's hard to justify that $695 AF. For every day spending and rewards you might want to look at the Gold card. It has a much better return and a much lighter $250 AF.

Message 18 of 29
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your AMEX Platinum approval! Has to feel great, reaping the benefits of your hard work. 

Message 19 of 29
journeyto

You story mirrors mine, much more similarly than I would have expected when I came looking in this forum to see if I should apply for the Platinum card that's saying I'm pre-qualified. I had to do a double take. I wanted to see if anyone had gotten approved with a score like mine (651 TU VantageScore 3.0).

I had score around 500 like you, missed payments (as recently as 02/2020), collections (a lot if not all have fallen off). So because of your story, I'm going to go for the Platinum card.

My only reason to 2nd guess it is that, I could pay off a card with a 32% util and let it report in 2.5 weeks then apply. If anyone has any advice on waiting to pay that 32% card off or just apply for the Platinum now since it's showing the pre-qual, I'd appreciate it! If I get approved for this, I just might cry.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.