Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low limit on Freedom?

tag
k-s
Regular Contributor

Re: Very low limit on Freedom?

@jamesdwi wrote:

how do your INQ's look like for the last 6 months, if 1 or 0, might want to AP for a CSP, good signing bonus. and may give you a $5k limit if they go above that you can move part of the over $5k limit to your freedom. if you want a sure thing go for a Slate card, than divide the limit between freedom and the slate keep the slate for 6 months just for appearances on your credit report. then move remaning CL to your freedom card and close the slate.

It's usually easier to get a new card than a decent CLI, when they do a HP CLI they compare your requested CL with the cards existing CL don't expect a 10x increase over your current $500 without a manual review, When you apply new they will look at all cards incouoding the 13k CL joint card so you should get a much higher CL.

Interesting idea! He has 6 inquiries, 4 of which are auto loan related. Do you happen to know if Chase allows you to split the limit immediately or is there a waiting period after opening the new account? 

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 11 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jamesdwi wrote:

how do your INQ's look like for the last 6 months, if 1 or 0, might want to AP for a CSP, good signing bonus. and may give you a $5k limit if they go above that you can move part of the over $5k limit to your freedom. if you want a sure thing go for a Slate card, than divide the limit between freedom and the slate keep the slate for 6 months just for appearances on your credit report. then move remaning CL to your freedom card and close the slate.

It's usually easier to get a new card than a decent CLI, when they do a HP CLI they compare your requested CL with the cards existing CL don't expect a 10x increase over your current $500 without a manual review, When you apply new they will look at all cards incouoding the 13k CL joint card so you should get a much higher CL.

+1

Assuming they approve for anything higher on another product, then this would seem like a viable option.

Message 12 of 28
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@k-s wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Interesting idea! He has 6 inquiries, 4 of which are auto loan related. Do you happen to know if Chase allows you to split the limit immediately or is there a waiting period after opening the new account? 

I did mine within 30 days, so I dont see why not. Worse case they'll make him wait until he gets and activates the card. 

Message 13 of 28
k-s
Regular Contributor

Thanks! We will definitely consider that strategy.
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 14 of 28
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

For what its worth, I too, received an initial CL of a measly $500.. I immediately attempted a recon that therefore resulted in a HP for a sorry $100 CLI. I have since received (2)AUTO CLI's that now leaves me to stand with a CL of $1300, which makes their "balance transfer" offers something to laugh at .....

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 15 of 28
k-s
Regular Contributor

We ended up following jameswi's suggestion.

I checked Chase's online prequal and it showed a 'preselected offer' for the Slate, so we went for it. The app was instantly approved for 2k. DBF HATES calling CCC, but I bargained with him and he agreed to call when the card arrived and we'll try to get a higher CL, but even at 2k, I'm happy. We'll either move over the entire CL and cancel the Slate or if they won't let us do that, we'll move 1.5k, leave the Slate open and SD it.

Thanks all for your help!
Message 16 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@k-s wrote:
We ended up following jameswi's suggestion.

I checked Chase's online prequal and it showed a 'preselected offer' for the Slate, so we went for it. The app was instantly approved for 2k. DBF HATES calling CCC, but I bargained with him and he agreed to call when the card arrived and we'll try to get a higher CL, but even at 2k, I'm happy. We'll either move over the entire CL and cancel the Slate or if they won't let us do that, we'll move 1.5k, leave the Slate open and SD it.

Thanks all for your help!

You may be able to do it via a secure message via the web site. So he won't have to talk, have to talk on the phone. And the online messages tend to get results without having to try multiple CSR's or trying to explain what you are saying.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 28
dap1984va
New Contributor

I am going to be 100% honest with you, while searching these boards I am happy to see people approved with the Freedom for several thousands of dollars. My Chase is at 1k and next month I would of had it for 2 years exactly. ..I used to run money through my card as well. (past tense)  I would not personally waste a Hard Pull on Chase. Out of 10 CC, Chase is my lowest "BY FARRR".. if you can, wait until the credit profile improves and you will start laughing at that $500 credit card.Some credit cards are known for high starting credit limits,,,,, I really dont think the Chase Freedom is on the top of that listWoman Mad

Message 18 of 28
k-s
Regular Contributor

Thanks jamesdwi, I will try that now! He would be so thrilled to not have to call. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 28
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom - not really much Freedom at all Smiley Very Happy Goodluck and nice move with the slate.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.