cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Active Cash CLI - $4,500 to $5,700 (27% increase)

tag
LADave
Established Contributor

WF Active Cash CLI - $4,500 to $5,700 (27% increase)

Nearly 3 months ago I posted about my experience requesting a CLI for my WF Active Cash card, which I was declined for. The letter I got in the mail mentioned that one of the reasons they were denying the CLI was that I hadn't been keeping enough money in my WF accounts. (There was at least one other reason, which I think was that I didn't have enough credit history with the card, even though I've been banking with them for 14 years.) Unfortunately I don't know where that letter is and I didn't find it in my online account center, so I'm not sure exactly what it said.

Since then I've been keeping a little more money than usual in my WF account. Now that I'm banking with 3 companies (WF, Chase and Capital One), that's been more challenging than it used to be. But even though I like C1 more for regular banking, WF and Chase do take my account history into account for their cards. And it became clear during my last CLI denial that my banking history with them could affect me negatively, even though (or perhaps because?) I didn't do anything to incur fees since getting the card.

That's why I added a WF saving account about a month ago to park some of my money. I even moved some of my C1 money to pad my WF accounts a little more, at least until I got approved for a CLI. I also paid the card further down over the last few months - it was around $1700 at the time I originally requested the CLI, and today it's just under $1,000. Since it's still at 0% APR through the end of the year I'm not in a hurry to pay it all off yet, but I figured it would probably help more than the extra money in my WF accounts.

Today I called WF back for a CLI and got one, from $4,500 to $5,700 (a nice 27% bump). I explained at the beginning of the call that I wanted it because I plan to put more of my expenses on the card, which is true. And part of the reason why I want to do that is because WF is expected to release at least one premium travel card by early next year. If that card is attractive to me, then I maximize my chances of approval at great terms through positive history.

My next moves with the card are to get the balance down to zero and use it for more of my expenses, including at least some of the 2% Apple Pay charges that I'd normally put on my Apple Card, and charges I'd normally put on my Chase Amazon Prime card (currently at 2% through the end of the year thanks to a targeted offer). But I may ease into using the WF card more over my Apple Card, since Apple/GS has recently told me that I'm declined for a CLI right now until they see more history of my using and paying off that card. I plan to use that card more for at least the next month or two, and use my Chase Amazon card less for non-Amazon things.

After getting this CLI and the $600 CLI  that I recently got for my PayPal Credit, I'm now long out of of the game for applying for new credit simply to pad my account. And that feels great!

Almost forgot to mention - my current Experian FICO 9 score from the WF app is 702, up 13 from last month (after it decreased from getting a car loan). I was at 700 back in April, and 689 in October when I was approved for the Active Cash card.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WF Active Cash CLI - $4,500 to $5,700 (27% increase)

Grats on your Wells Fargo move up Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your WellFargo.jpg Active Cash Card CLI!

Message 3 of 23
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your WF Active Cash CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 4 of 23
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your WF Active Cash CLI.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 23
LADave
Established Contributor

Thank you @CreditAggie@CreditMagic7@gdale6 and @babygirl1256!

Some more thoughts - 

When I originally applied for Active Cash I was slightly leery about expanding my banking relationship with Wells Fargo, due to their past issues with opening accounts without permission. It never happened to me, but it left a bad taste in my mouth that hasn't completely gone away. But in the months since I got the card, I've come away very impressed with their service.

I've called WF a few times over the last year for things like making an account product change on my checking (to cut out monthly fees) and for CLI requests. Each time, they've been friendly and super-helpful. They do seem to have put their past issues behind them as well as any major bank could. The service I've received has me more open to doing more banking with them, especially as they're poised to unveil a travel card that will compete against the best of Chase and Capital One.

For anyone wondering, WF does not have an online CLI form, and the only way I know of to do that is on the phone (requesting at a branch might also be an option). The operator told me that they can give a counter-offer if I make a request that's too high, so I requested a total limit of $8,000, which would have made it my highest limit card (beating my Discover It at $7K). The operator had my counter offer of $5,700 within seconds, which I was happy to receive.

If they finally get rid of their policy of having one SUB every 15 months I'd be way more open to doing even more business with them!

Message 6 of 23
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Wells Fargo Active Cash CLI

Message 7 of 23
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Nice pivot on the banking accounts to get that CLI.

I am very interested in the verbiage about not enough money in your WF account from that previous denial.

Would you be able to let us know the wording??

Message 8 of 23
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your wells fargo active cash credit increase. I have the Propel amex card from wells and enjoy it, it has cl of 25K limit.

Message 9 of 23
user979797
Established Contributor

Congrats on your increased scores and your CLI Smiley Happy

>
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.