cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW!!! NFCU just shocked me!

doublexl04

WOW!!! NFCU just shocked me!

First, I want to thank the community for all the great information provided here and for allowing me to lurk for so long.

I finally got into NFCU in June after a long and difficult journey to gain membership. I'll spare you all the details but essentially I got into NFCU in 2016, applied for Cash Reward and CLOC but something in my Chex history spooked NFCU and they put a security hold on the account and closed my Cash Rewards card before I had even received it in the mail. After the baddie aged off Chex and several phone calls later, I gained membership in June of 2020.

I wanted to establish a little bit of a relationship before I started applying for credit products, so I opened a checking account in addition to the savings account and started sending part of my direct deposit into the checking account. Fast forward to October and I decided to pull the trigger on the Cash Rewards card. I was approved but was a little disappointed because it was only for $1k SL (my first approval had been $2k in 2016). I was hoping for something between $3k and $5k but with my dirty file, I couldn't be too disappointed. I immediately started using it as my daily driver and PIF before the statement cut hoping to get a nice bump at 91/3. Fast forward to January, I got a 3x bump to $3k. I was hoping for more, but again, with my baddies, couldn't be too disappointed. I continued to use the card heavily and PIF hoping to get a bigger bump at the next 3 month interval.

April came around and I pulled the trigger on another CLI request but didn't get the immediate bump in the online portal as I had the first time around. I gave it 2 days but no update on the account. I noticed I didn't get a hard pull alert, so I called NFCU and was informed I would receive a notice in the mail. I came back to the forums and started poking around and realized I needed to wait 6 months for the next increase request.

Since I had already prepared myself to take a new hard pull and didn't want to wait the additional 3 months, I started looking into a second card. I had been eyeing the More Rewards Amex and it had a 25k SUB offer, so after completing the prequalify info and seeing that it showed a preapproval (for whatever thats worth with NFCU), I built up the courage to apply for it. I was just hoping to get approved for anything over $5k since my file is DIRTY with 1 paid charge off, 1 open collection and 5 baddies.  Imagine the shock on my face when I was instantly approved for $25k and 9.65% APR!!! It really is all about the relationship with NFCU! 

Income: $60k

Util: 9%

Fico 8: EQ 688 TU 664 EX 680

Fico 9: EQ 699 TU 670 EX 707

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: WOW!!! NFCU just shocked me!

Congratulations on your NFCU More Rewards approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9:  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24 M):  
Banks & CUs:                           Goal Cards:

Message 2 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 23
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the new Navy card and sweet SL!

Message 4 of 23
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 5 of 23
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Navy does it again! Congrats on an excellent SL proving once again it's ALL bout the relationship overall with Navy! 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 6 of 23
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 7 of 23
babygirl1256
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your NFCU approval . . . that's fantastic!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 8 of 23
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

👋 1st post... and it is a doosey!
Congratulations on your More Rewards approval! 👏👏
One of the best SL and the lowest apr is complete awesomeness 👌
Message 9 of 23
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval and amazing starting limit! 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.