Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Credit Card Approval

tag
Mike1014805
New Contributor

Walmart Credit Card Approval

So I had the walmart credit card, but I closed it a long time ago. Well, I called capital one, asked them to reopen it and they did. They wanred me they might pull my credit if I was offered the Mastercard version, which I was fine with. Anyway, I was eligble for the Mastercard version, but they lowered my limit. I went from $2000 in credit to $500. I was told it was because my card was technically closed and I was being offered the Mastercard version now. 

Anyway, how hard is it to get a CLI with them? $500 is a pretty low limit...should I bother acitvating the card or just let it remain as an inquiry on my report? 

23 REPLIES 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Walmart Credit Card Approval

Congrats on your new Walmart card.

I recently closed mine since Capital One just doesn't seem all that interested in it.

Neither was i with 31% APR and no CLI over 2 years whatsover. Some seem to get a lift, others not so much.

Message 2 of 24
kickhard88
Contributor

Same I closed my walmart card too only 300 limit had it for a year don't need a 300 limit card

you already took the hit to your credit report with the  inquiry might just wait maybe the card will grow.  I do a lot of shopping at walmart but with only a 300 limit i didnt see any point of keeping it i have other cards

Message 3 of 24
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the MC approval.  How long had the card been closed?

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 4 of 24
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! @Mike1014805 

Message 5 of 24
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I'm also in the camp of you've already taken the hit so you could, you know... experiment with it, and see where it goes. Congratulations on your approval! 

Message 6 of 24
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

congrats on the approval

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $38,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000 /

SOCKDRAWERED FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ WELLS FARGO ACTIVE CASH $8200/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 7 of 24
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@Mike1014805 wrote:

So I had the walmart credit card, but I closed it a long time ago. Well, I called capital one, asked them to reopen it and they did. They wanred me they might pull my credit if I was offered the Mastercard version, which I was fine with. Anyway, I was eligble for the Mastercard version, but they lowered my limit. I went from $2000 in credit to $500. I was told it was because my card was technically closed and I was being offered the Mastercard version now. 

Anyway, how hard is it to get a CLI with them? $500 is a pretty low limit...should I bother acitvating the card or just let it remain as an inquiry on my report? 

Congrats on your approval. I know Cap1 is notorious for being stingy with cli's but there have been some cases of success the past few months. Since you've taken the hp, you might as well take the card. Even if you were to close that card before getting it, it's gonna still show up on your report(closed) to my knowledge so might as well try...if you get no dice in 6-12 months, maybe you close it. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 8 of 24
SpaceCityCCuser
Regular Contributor

@Mike1014805 wrote:

Congrats on your approval. I would just use it and pay it off after transactions post. Just keep showing 0 when the acct statement hits. I use the card quite a bit on groceries. I have gotten use to putting the order in on the app and picking it up curb side. I bet you are on the 1st year bonus where you can use it instore for 5% as well.

Last Signature Update: 03/21/2024

Credit Age:
Approvals (Chase 5/24 not counting business cards):
Inquiries:

Financial Institutions:

Cards on the Radar:
2 plus years away cards:
Message 9 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your re-open upgrade to Walmart MC Approval!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.