Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird AMEX CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird AMEX CLI

I got my Amex BCE with a $2k limit about a year ago, it was sometime last April or May. Since then I have tried for the 3x CLI to $6k three times and everytime I was denied and they came back with my income and other balances didn't support the increase. Today was 61 days after my last request so I decided to just try for $5k...they came back with $2100, so a $100 CLI I don't even see the point in that.

Discover, Citi, Nordstrom Visa and my other store cards regularly give me increases and then the card that everyone seems to have so much luck with won't budge. My overall utilization is about 15% now and has continued to go down and I never carry a large balance with AMEX and usually pay it off in 1-2 statements. I know I've read they like to see a lot of usage but when my other credit lines are 7-9k I'd rather use those incase I do carry the balance for a few statements. Am I doing something wrong or does AMEX just not like me?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird AMEX CLI

EX baddie somewhere, maybe they don't like reported balances on multiple cards? move debt to the Discover while youre paying it off. See if you can change your profile in the next 90 days and make sure reports at amex three more months of pay down not just two. Softt pulls sometimes lag behind, make sure you get the new one.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was not aware you could try again in 61 days usually it is 90 days after your denial, so I would try again in a month in the meantime I guess
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was not aware you could try again in 61 days usually it is 90 days after your denial, so I would try again in a month in the meantime I guess

You can't technically get a CLI after a denial for 91 days but if the OP tried after 61 days after a previous denial (which would have been considered an early request, this attempt would technically be 120 or so days after the 'legitimate ' denial.  An early request doesn't reset the clock so his previous request was probably denied for being too early and then they processed this one.  Hope this makes sense.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex does not like carrying balances at all, even small ones. PIF for a few months, and keep the overall util under 10%, then you could try again.

Double check your Experian report, there's probably something on there that they dont like.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian is showing a 750, no baddies. I actually have PIF the past 2 times I've purchased anything and haven't really been using it much because of the low limit, so I'm sure they'd like to see more usage. And I'm not sure why I was thinking it was 61 days but my last denial was an actual denial...but then I'm not sure why they'd approve the random $100. Clearly they confuse me!
Message 6 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex does not like carrying balances at all, even small ones.

This has not been my experience.  They like large payments, yes, but I have never known them to be too concerned with balances on revolvers or POT on charge cards even when I was carrying $30k+ with them.  Granted, if you were carrying something like a $500 balance over the course of months they may feel you are unable to pay off even small balances.

OP, in your first post you mentioned that you were previously declined due to income.  My assumption would be that AmEx is appreciative of your responsible use of the card and gave you a 5% CLI just to throw you a bone, but their underwriting is not comfortable extending you further credit due to income.  They're not a lender that generally grants huge revolving lines compared to income.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

dont feel bad cause you are not the only one that is stuck...I have a clean EXP report and a 753 but cant get a CLI. Only had 2 attempts so i'll just keep at it. I figure they will come around eventually. They wont  keep me at $500 forever i figure.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.