Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World's Worst Gardener Approved for Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

World's Worst Gardener Approved for Discover IT

I was checking my score at creditscorecard.com and the pre-approval popped up. I'm a rebuider who felt like I might be stuck in sub-prime prison for a loooong time. I hadn't passed maybe three prior attempts over the past six months at a pre-approval and it became my first 'goal card.' Approved with a $7000 SL. The 5% cash back and 14 months 0% interest.This is a big deal for someone with two CapOne $500 SL cards. I'll believe it when it arrives. Thing is, it's been 48 hours and no HP alert from any of my several monitoring services? So maybe I won't have to replant my seedling? Anyway...this slow, steady, sometimes torturous rebuilding seems to be working and wanted to pass along some hope for people in situations like mine.

EDIT: I got a pre-approval APPLICATION pop-up. I wasn't instantly pre-approved, in case I wasn't clear. I did the pre-approval application, which gave me a thumbs up, then, after thinking about it for as long as the screen stayed open, I went ahead and did what felt like a HP application. That's why I'm surprised that no HP has shown up (yet).

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: World's Worst Gardener Approved for Discover IT

Nice pick up and SL. Congrats.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That card is actually a 10% cashback card the first year due to cashback match.

Congrats!  Didn't know creditscore.com offers prequalified offers.  Did you mean creditscorecard.com?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That card is actually a 10% cashback card the first year due to cashback match.

Congrats!  Didn't know creditscore.com offers prequalified offers.  Did you mean creditscorecard.com?

Yes. Good catch...I just edited it to creditscorecard.com. Jeez...10%? That's great news. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Good catch...I just edited it to creditscorecard.com. Jeez...10%? That's great news. 

It's actually more than 10% if you play your cards right.  First of all, don't forget that some stores in a category may offer internal rewards, so do some groundwork and find those programs out if it matches your spend.  Category cards are the #1 reason folks spend too much -- they think getting 5% more in cash is worth blowing 40% in spending, so be careful.

Secondly, Discover lets you redeem cashback for gift cards, which is what I am banking my cashback towards.  $45->$50 is 11.1% more cash if those gift cards work for you.  So 10% after a year + 11.1% = 11.11% rewards the first year.

Glad to know creditscorecard.com shows offers!  I'll need to get someone to send me a screen cap of that so I can add it to my database.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's actually more than 10% if you play your cards right.  First of all, don't forget that some stores in a category may offer internal rewards, so do some groundwork and find those programs out if it matches your spend.  Category cards are the #1 reason folks spend too much -- they think getting 5% more in cash is worth blowing 40% in spending, so be careful.

Secondly, Discover lets you redeem cashback for gift cards, which is what I am banking my cashback towards.  $45->$50 is 11.1% more cash if those gift cards work for you.  So 10% after a year + 11.1% = 11.11% rewards the first year.

Glad to know creditscorecard.com shows offers!  I'll need to get someone to send me a screen cap of that so I can add it to my database.

Some here on the forum, including you, play this credit game at a whole different level than me, atm. My eyes cross just trying to PIF, stay under 9%, AZEO, monitor changing 'end of statement dates,' etc. It's fun to read about these strategies and try to learn, but I think it may take a mental capacity or proclivity that I may not have...lol. I admire your ability.

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats OpSmiley Happy

K in Boston, is that you? Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats OpSmiley Happy

I live in the South. But I hope I remind you of a gorgeous, witty, funny, smart K in Boston. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats OpSmiley Happy

I live in the South. But I hope I remind you of a gorgeous, witty, funny, smart K in Boston. Smiley Happy

Oh...and young. I forgot to mention young.

Message 9 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, sorry some Garden Club humorSmiley Happy. K in Boston is a member who claims World's Worst GardenerSmiley Wink. Even says so in his siggy! There is a battle for second and third thoughSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.