Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amazon store card approval joke

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amazon store card approval joke

hello everyone i have been rebuilding my credit since my messy divorce 3 years ago.  my fico scores are 670 across the 3 bureaus now after starting in the low 500s.  i am fortunate that i make a comfortable salary (140K) and do not have much debt.  so far in the last 3 years i have leased an audi, have a amex edc (5k), a venture 1 (15k) a qs1 (15k) a pnc traveler visa (12.5k) a discover it (5k) a barclay apple (6k) and a merrick (3.6k) which i only charge gas to. my utilization across all cards is currently 5.1%

anyhow over the weekend i decided i would get an amazon store card.  i was approved instantly but my cl is 200 bucks.  yep that is right 200 dollars.  i called right away and spoke to someone that sounded like she was in the philippines.  i asked her to increase this to 2k so she put me on hold and after a few minutes came back to say no not going to happen.  

i am unsure what i should do.  i wasted a hp for a $200 cl! heck for that cl i couldnt even buy a week of groceries at whole foods.  should i cancel the card or just keep it?  i average about 5k in amazon purchases per year and use their prime membership.  very lame imo.  

i guess i am just venting.  i see posts on here will people getting 5k limits with worse scores than myself and have not seen any posts with people starting at 200 bucks ugh.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Re: amazon store card approval joke

I was initially approved for $300 about 1.5 years ago and I'm at $10k . If you research this card and Synchrony you'll see that soft pull cli's can easily grow this card with use and good payments. In 6 months I was bumped to $2000, and then at 10 months I was bumped to $10,000. These cli's were all done via chat. I suggest holding onto the card and asking for a cli after a few payments. You might need a few cli's to get up to a place you want but it'll grow.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you try calling once you receive the card to activate it?  I received a $800 SL, called in and they told me no. When I called in to activate it I requested a CLI again and they increased it to $5K.

Message 3 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Or, after 2-3 months of use and payments, and then call credit solutions for a nice CLI
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The new Synchrony doesnt seem to want to give auto cli as soon as you get the card. It seems 1 or 2 statement cuts can do the trick. Hold in to the card and try after your first statement cut, if no , try after statement cut #2. Itll happen . I started at $150 on Wally and have it at 10k. With your income there are cards out there that would serve your needs with higher credit lines but this is just a case of building s small historySmiley Wink
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i guess i will just be patient i already purchased $200 worth of stuff i didnt need on the card and will pay it off then rinse and repeat.  i would have been fine with $800 or $1000 at first it just was that $200 thing for some reason rubbed me the wrong way.

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah i hear ya, its weird to see Amazon only giving $200 especially where you are at today with your scores and profile. If it was Lowes or Sams , even Wally, weve seen some lowe sl but even dor Amazon , $200 seems on the weak side. BUT, at least it will grow. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

my scores arent great but for the last 3 years since i took over my financial situation i have never had a late payment and my highest utilization has been 20%  i figured if i could get a venture 1 for 15k sl i would at least get something decent with amazon but it is was it is.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

200 dollars is kind of annoying.  But you wanted the card so I would do like the others said and keep the card and hope it increases.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.