cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approved for amex green charge but denied for delta gold

tag
sihyunghan

approved for amex green charge but denied for delta gold

I applied for the green charge card for amex and was approved then i tried applying for the delta gold card since i would be more comfortable with using a revolving card instead of a charge card. What  can i do to better my chances and when should i apply for the delta gold card again? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: approved for amex green charge but denied for delta gold

They trust you with a charger, but not a revolver, so it's the bottom of the ladder for you in Amexland. They'll want to see how you do, and "get comfortable with you," and I'd say after six months, to a year is the make/break point to move.

Message 2 of 9
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Why were you denied? Did you try to RECON it? 

What are your scores? Util? INQ's? Baddies? 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 3 of 9
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the Green!

You should receive a letter of denial explaining why you were declined for the Delta card.  From there, it's just a matter of working on those issues.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 4 of 9
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Congrats. Do you know, if they have pulled all three cr? If so, it was a borderline approval. Use your Green wisely, pay off in large sum. Give them a little time (6 months) and you should be good for a revolver.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

+ ( a lot )

Message 6 of 9
sihyunghan

Ive been trying to build up my credit for hte last 6 months and i tried applying recently for a chase freedom and an amazon store card which i got approved for both. I thought it was worth a try going for an amex . The only baddie i have is a late payment two years ago and my util was around 40 percent which i should have lowered first. But i will work on these so i can better my chances in 6 months. Also how do they determine how much you can spend on a charge card ? 

Thank you guys so much for all your help 

Message 7 of 9
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@sihyunghan wrote:

I applied for the green charge card for amex and was approved then i tried applying for the delta gold card since i would be more comfortable with using a revolving card instead of a charge card. What  can i do to better my chances and when should i apply for the delta gold card again? 

I was in the same boat as you.  I used my Green Card heavily, of course PIF once the payment was due.  After my third payment I was app'd and was approved for the Platinum Delta Card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

To OP: NPSL is a big misconception, as you're asking how limits grow. Can't go buy a car tomorrow, using the green...lol. Your typical temp limit will release, as they get used to your frequency of use, and the amounts spent/speed of repayment. As you use it, the internal limit will grow, but if you do something extremely out of the ordinary (spending), they might call you on it. Don't go nuts on the spend checker!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.