Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi double cash: Update Approved

tag
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved for citi double cash but with high APR

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all, I was recently approved for the citi double cash card but have a high interest rate of 18.74%. Is there any way I can call citi and ask for a lower APR? Has anyone had any success in doing this?

After my Citi AAdvantage WEMC was 1 month old in February, I started a Chat to request an APR reduction and it was reduced from 24.24% to 22.24%.

Not satisfied with that reduction, next I called the number on the back of the card and received an APR reduction to 18.24% - the LOWEST APR on that card product at that time. Monthly spend is about $300 - $700 and I always PIF.

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 21 of 36
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, and yes I agree with others that you actually got a good APR with Citi!  I wouldn't sweat it at all.. use it like you stole it!

Message 22 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even the lowest possible APR on the DC (almost 16%) isn't worth carrying a balance/using to borrow money. Obviously carrying a balance negates the benefit of the card. Anyway, I wouldn't be that upset about your rate because it's really not bad for this product. When DC first launched a few years ago we saw a lot of 1k approvals at 24%, etc.

Citi can be flexible with lowering APR, but I don't know if you'll have luck right away. I would just let the card age for 3 - 6 months and then give it a try.

Message 23 of 36
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats on a fantastic card! The APR isn’t that high actually, although you can definitely go lower. My APR is at 15.74 currently. You could try to ask, but if it’s a no-go you can always try again later. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 24 of 36
BH1985
Regular Contributor

I was able to get mine reduced from 20.74% to 16.49% in three steps on three consecutive days immediately after receiving my card about two months ago.

I just sent a message through the app requesting APR reduction and within 10 minutes I was given an APR reduction each time until they wouldn’t go lower than 16.49% for me. The lowest APR is 15.74%, so I didn’t do too bad I suppose.
Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!

Message 26 of 36
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: citi double cash

Bam!Bam!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried their prequal site for a while and no luck. I’m 1 year from BK7 falling off and have some quite well in getting everything in order. Anyhow - applied last week for the double cash card. Got the 7-10 message. Called the next day and verified info. A few days later got the approval letter. C-lim $6900. Card arrives and I instantly hit the love button and was bumped to $10k within a few minutes.
Message 28 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Citi DC $3k SL

Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Update. So I called this morning and just had to verify that it was me who applied. After that I was approved immediately for $3,000. Not a lot but I’ll take it. Atleast I got my foot in the door with citi bank.

Congrats on your approval! Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.