cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi double cash: Update Approved

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for citi double cash but with high APR

@Matthew1996 wrote:
Hello all, I was recently approved for the citi double cash card but have a high interest rate of 18.74%. Is there any way I can call citi and ask for a lower APR? Has anyone had any success in doing this?

After my Citi AAdvantage WEMC was 1 month old in February, I started a Chat to request an APR reduction and it was reduced from 24.24% to 22.24%.

Not satisfied with that reduction, next I called the number on the back of the card and received an APR reduction to 18.24% - the LOWEST APR on that card product at that time. Monthly spend is about $300 - $700 and I always PIF.

AMEX BCE $4K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $12.2K | Citi AAdvantage WEMC $12.5K | Discover $15.5K | OpenSky $300 BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $3K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K) | BBVA Compass Rewards VS $10.5K |
TCL - 100K+ | Rebuilding since April 2018
Message 21 of 30
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, and yes I agree with others that you actually got a good APR with Citi!  I wouldn't sweat it at all.. use it like you stole it!

;
Message 22 of 30
Super Contributor

Even the lowest possible APR on the DC (almost 16%) isn't worth carrying a balance/using to borrow money. Obviously carrying a balance negates the benefit of the card. Anyway, I wouldn't be that upset about your rate because it's really not bad for this product. When DC first launched a few years ago we saw a lot of 1k approvals at 24%, etc.

Citi can be flexible with lowering APR, but I don't know if you'll have luck right away. I would just let the card age for 3 - 6 months and then give it a try.

Message 23 of 30
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Congrats on a fantastic card! The APR isn’t that high actually, although you can definitely go lower. My APR is at 15.74 currently. You could try to ask, but if it’s a no-go you can always try again later. 

Discover It: 18.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 4.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 24 of 30
Contributor

I was able to get mine reduced from 20.74% to 16.49% in three steps on three consecutive days immediately after receiving my card about two months ago.

I just sent a message through the app requesting APR reduction and within 10 minutes I was given an APR reduction each time until they wouldn’t go lower than 16.49% for me. The lowest APR is 15.74%, so I didn’t do too bad I suppose.
Message 25 of 30
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your approval!

(Sigh, farewell dear CSR. Though we only were together briefly, you'll be missed....)

Formerly GrowOrDie
Message 26 of 30
Regular Contributor

Re: citi double cash

tenorBam!

1st Divorce, 2nd Rebuild, Credit Celibacy 2008 - 2016

Plowing in the garden as of 4/8/2019, ugh!

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 660
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 30
Established Member

Tried their prequal site for a while and no luck. I’m 1 year from BK7 falling off and have some quite well in getting everything in order. Anyhow - applied last week for the double cash card. Got the 7-10 message. Called the next day and verified info. A few days later got the approval letter. C-lim $6900. Card arrives and I instantly hit the love button and was bumped to $10k within a few minutes.
Message 28 of 30
Valued Contributor

Citi DC $3k SL

Message 29 of 30
Regular Contributor

@Matthew1996 wrote:
Update. So I called this morning and just had to verify that it was me who applied. After that I was approved immediately for $3,000. Not a lot but I’ll take it. Atleast I got my foot in the door with citi bank.

Congrats on your approval! Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 30