Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit one increase when I tried to close- SP

tag
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

credit one increase when I tried to close- SP

So, I am trying to close subprimes -slowly- since the focus on the better cards now.  I am in the process of waiting to get some CL increases on the better cards.  I wanted to close Credit One- they are a starter/subprime/predatory card- lets face it.  I called and said I was unhappy since I hated their annual fee, they never raised my limit and that I wanted to close it as a result. 

After a brief hold, they gave me a $200 increase - to $800 - with a SP.  They waived the annual fee and credited last years (I have had it since 8/21 and must have paid it when I got the card.) 

The good news is that I can sock drawer their dreadful card and it won't cost me anything while aging it, using it as a zero balance card for AZEO purposes.  Just wanted to let anyone know.

ALSO, if anyone knows or can direct me to a link here for labels (cards and scores) that would be great.  I saw a link where to post ones scores but I'm clueless and can't figure out how to do it  Smiley Happy

Beginning of journey, 2019/2020: EX: 530, TU: 510, EQ: 525

Today:  EX: 684, TU: 672, EQ: 670

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: credit one increase when I tried to close- SP

Congrats on your CreditOne CLI.  As your score improves then you can move it.  It will continue to be listed and contribute to your score on your CB for 10 years after the close date but keeping it well maintained will help.

Here's the thread on updating your profile.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/t...
Message 2 of 10
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Credit One CLI and annual fee waiver!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You did pretty good with Credit 1, big grats to ya Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your rebuild efforts with Credit One and extension without a annual fee plus CLI!

Advice though. Just my 2 cents. When calling to genuinely cancel a card like them, don't need complain, just state to them you have other (or another card account(s) that makes it necessary to do this. However since your keeping it, the card will continue to build open history with them minus the FEE now. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Congrats, that's good news!

Don't forget to set an alert, if you want to avoid next year's annual fee. And remember, even if you close it, the card will continue to age on your file, until it finally falls off in 10 years.

Message 6 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I am not sure what your credit profile looks like but if you have better cards and really do not need it I would have just closed it . JMHO 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 10
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

I have the following:

@Jnbmom wrote:

I am not sure what your credit profile looks like but if you have better cards and really do not need it I would have just closed it . JMHO 

Below: the 'good' guys are new so I'm trying to have a more aged file.   (the older ones I have are citi secured 2018-2020/ Self visa 2020-present, credit one, avant and blue sky)....Thought is to gradually close these.

Amex Blue Cash P: 2,000 (3/22

Amex Delta Sky Platinum: 2,000 (5/22)

Care Credit : 3,500 (3/21)

Discover it: 1,000 (3/22

Lowes: 5,000 (5/22)

Ann Taylor MC: 1,500 (5/22)

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 8 of 10
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Credit One CLI

Message 9 of 10
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Credit One CLI.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.