Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover card and amex bcp

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

discover card and amex bcp

I decided to unfreeze experian and go for the new BCP card and screwed up because they went off the old auto pull (by 1 day) so I got stuck with a starting limit of 1k. Only thing to change on my credit was all cards reported a 0 balance for the first time ever and put my scores in the 799,835,821. So I checked discover card and saw a pre-approval and applied, instant approval but had to upload identity and did, then called to verify. They came back with since you are not using your credit we gave you a 4700 starting limit!!! I said thats extremely low isnt it? he said yes but you have 75k limit cards with a 0 balance so you dont need a high limit from us, if you need more you can ask for an increase in 90 days.... kinda bummed but it was 2 approvals, id rather had amex decline it though. only 1 inquiry on Experian though, so thats a win win

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: discover card and amex bcp

Congrats on your new Amex BCP and Disco cards! 

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on 2 great cards and enjoy! I understand being bummed about lower SL! But with these two lenders limits can grow pretty fast.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@swpopham wrote:

I decided to unfreeze experian and go for the new BCP card and screwed up because they went off the old auto pull (by 1 day) so I got stuck with a starting limit of 1k. Only thing to change on my credit was all cards reported a 0 balance for the first time ever and put my scores in the 799,835,821. So I checked discover card and saw a pre-approval and applied, instant approval but had to upload identity and did, then called to verify. They came back with since you are not using your credit we gave you a 4700 starting limit!!! I said thats extremely low isnt it? he said yes but you have 75k limit cards with a 0 balance so you dont need a high limit from us, if you need more you can ask for an increase in 90 days.... kinda bummed but it was 2 approvals, id rather had amex decline it though. only 1 inquiry on Experian though, so thats a win win

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? What score was showing in the app--the new one or the old one? I'm asking because I too plan on applying for a second AmEx card and was planning on waiting until after my auto-pull on the 27th.

Message 4 of 18
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS  on your Approvals and Thanks for the Disco intel!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy

I think you fail to realize Amex doesnt make approvsls based solely on score, neither does Discover. Many people feel if they used a newer updated score they would have gotten more. Maybe maybe not but its still your overall profile that help fetermines that.

$4700 sl from Disco is pretty good starting out. Yikes on the the csr telling you that but again, those csrs hsve no say in your sl nor giving you more. Its all computer based. Enjoy your cards, they will grow. Please add pertinent data points so people can see where they stand. ThanksSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Actually quite nice approvals!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 18
swpopham
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? What score was showing in the app--the new one or the old one? I'm asking because I too plan on applying for a second AmEx card and was planning on waiting until after my auto-pull on the 27th.

score was showing 699 from 4/20 and right now its 821experian with everything showing paid off. amex did not do a new HP for the card on any of the 3 major.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@swpopham wrote:

score was showing 699 from 4/20 and right now its 821experian with everything showing paid off. amex did not do a new HP for the card on any of the 3 major.

This is a prime example of needing to recon.  100+ point difference means you either get 1K or 10K or 25K.  You really need to reach out to amex and have them pull a new report for the correct CL to be assigned and not get dropped into some sort of "steps" program.

Message 9 of 18
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.