cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first cli for discover and boa, how much do i request?

tag
ymmv
Established Member

first cli for discover and boa, how much do i request?

I am nearing my six month mark for both cards. I know a 3x request is standard for Amex after 60 days. How much should I request for these. My amex is currently 6k. Discover is 4k. Boa is 1k
BofA 123 - 0/5K, Discover More 0/8K, Amex Blue 0/9.4k, Capital One Platinum 0/5k, Express 0/1350
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: first cli for discover and boa, how much do i request?

I can't really answer the CL question, but just want to remind you that with BoA it's almost always a HP.  Choose wisely... Smiley Wink

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Well even if you ask for 3k on BOA it would still be 3x cl.  I would try to get BOA to match discover.  

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 10
YahComb
Established Contributor

with BOA i'd say shoot for the stars. Try to get them to match the Amex. they have twice within 4.5 months beat my current highest lines. My card was unsecured in june at 1.2K, with my highest line the paypal @ 2K (everything else was between 1 and 1.4K). In July, I asked for 3K online, wasn't instant. I called in the same day and they gave me the 3K. I have heard you can wait a few days if not instant and don't call, normally they will give you a cli still-sometimes less than what you asked for, sometimes you'll still get what you asked for. It seems tough to get outright denied for a cli from them if your credit isn't terrible or you haven't been just rackin up inquiries.

at the end of october, i went for 6K online and it was instantly approved. At this point i had a 5K and 4K line reporting, all the rest 3K and lower. Hard pull both times though. Was worth it to me.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 4 of 10
ymmv
Established Member

Discover bumped to 8k. Boa requested 5k Sig and got it. Both hp
BofA 123 - 0/5K, Discover More 0/8K, Amex Blue 0/9.4k, Capital One Platinum 0/5k, Express 0/1350
Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ymmv wrote:
Discover bumped to 8k. Boa requested 5k Sig and got it. Both hp

Amex 3x? Please ask for the 3x!!! it will counter, I probably would have started with them actually, if they 3x it, then wait a month for it to update then ask Discover and BofA to get in the game and move the limits a large amount!

Message 6 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the increases!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

With FIA (Bank of America) they will counter you so say 6000 and see what you get; I went from 1-5 and 2-7500. I feel like I should have asked for more, but oh well. The highest they saw when I got 7500 was 5200, so they should have no problem giving you 6000 or more. I had the accounts for about nine and ten months before requesting the increases. Discover went from 1-3 but that was an analyst ringing me offering an increase.

Message 8 of 10
ymmv
Established Member

Update on AMEX. Requested 3x to 18k on second cli. They countered with 9400 and I insta accepted . Why push it? Bummed I didn't break my $10k cherry but oh well. Time to garden and maybe apporama in a few months.
Message 9 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

3 credit limit increase in a few days is freaking awesome...

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.