Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(over-)thinking about a CSR- Update Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(over-)thinking about a CSR- Update Approved

I haven't been on the forum much over the past year and a half or so. I sort of noticed when the CSR came out but wasn't interested at the time. When I found this site I was sure I wanted all cash back, then got the travel bug and switched to favoring (hoarding) MR's. DH had some health issues and there was not going to be any real travel beyond road trips for the forseeable future and I switched to cash back again. I've also had some Chase cards (Freedom, FU, Ink+) earning UR's. 

Now we're back to planning travel. I stopped worrying about the BEST use of points and decided I wanted to take an upcoming trip all on rewards. I booked our flights using amex travel using MR's and hotels using a Hyatt points (previously UR's transferred to Hyatt but other trip cancelled) and booked a Hilton using URs through Chase travel. I think I've figured it's best to charge a car rental to a card with good coverage and just pay for it. That'll be negligible.

I knew the best use of points was to transfer and get award flights with carriers, but I think I've come to realize that my needs will pretty much always be too specific for that, and we'll mostly (for now) be traveling up and down the west coast. (I picked up an Alaska VISA a bit ago so I'll have those companion flights to figure in annually.) So I THINK using a travel portal and points will likely be a good choice for me. So with the 1.5x on CSR, knowing we'd now use the (more lenient) travel credit, and definitely make use of the 3x dining, it seems like a good way to go. BUT, beyond knowing I think we should get A CSR, I can't put the rest of the pieces together.

1) I can't decide if I should get it or if he should get it.

2) I can't decide what the other of us should get. 

3) I'm really, really bad at cancelling cards. When I stepped back from credit seeking I've paid a couple annual fees I shouldn't have. I need to figure out what to dump and as I think about getting new cards be aware of this shortcoming of mine. 

1) I have a good relationship with Chase. I have a Ritz-Carlton I really need to cancel. Do they prorate AF? Or do I just wait until anniversary? I'm relatively sure I could get a CSR but it may take some line moving which, given I'm planning to close a $20k RC I'm thinking I should be fine. Becuase of CLD years ago, my accounts don't get much in the way of offers (new product or BT), so there is SOME kind of blemish on my Chase file, but I've gotten $50k+ from them since then. DH is AU on some of my Chase cards but doesn't have any as primary. I am relatively sure he'd get one as well. He as other $20+ lines. 

2) I know an AU is $75 on the CSR. A separate CSP would be free for a year and then $95. It'd only earn 2x on restaurants instead of 3x. (Which restaurant spend is the main reason I'd think the other of us would need one at all. Except the CSP also comes with an additional sign up bonus. I could figure out a reasonable amount of individual and joint restaurant spending to figure out the true cost of either the AU or CSP, but I really want to see if anyone is thinking of something I'm not. 

3) He's got a Plat, I've got the RC. I'm definitely getting rid of the RC. That leads me to think I should get the CSR. But he should probably get rid of the Plat too. I wasn't ready to navigate getting him another MR card the last time his anniversary rolled around and had 100k+ points in there. I've done a pretty good job draining them, so in Sept/Oct I can decide which way to go with that. We'll enjoy the Centurion Lounge/Club in SEA at least once and probably in SFO before the time is out. If our travel plans continue take us to cities with those, that may be a deciding factor too. 

If we went with one of us getting the CSR and one getting the CSP, we'd likely cancel the CSP down the line (or should...if I get my act together). So that and the 2 rather than 3 is the downside. But there's that bonus! 

Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: (over-)thinking about a CSR

If you only plan to use the travel portal and don’t care about the transfer options and want to get a premium card for both of you without the AU fee.

Maybe consider getting a joint account with USB with the altitude reserve. There is no fee increase for joint accounts. They do charge $75 for AU but if your both joint account holders. It’s the flat $400 and you get 2 cards. USB travel portal is better then chase’s but you can’t transfer points like chase. The SUB’s are the same as CSR and value of points is the same if your just using the travel portal. Both 1.5C per point.

Honestly there’s no reason to get a CSR for one of you and the CSP for the other except the SUB. Which is a good reason in itself. Why spend money on the CSP after getting the SUB if you could spend the same money on the CSR and get more points.

Maybe look at getting the AR for one of you and a CSP for the other. Best of both worlds.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 16
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

My suggestion would be that you get a CSR and he get a CSP. If you can hit both SUBs then you've got 100k UR points you didn't have before which can get you very far. As long as you downgrade your CSP by year 2 (I would suggest to a Freedom), then you're not losing anything by having this CSP. I personally hold the CSR and Plat and am able to get a lot of value out of both, so it will make traveling for you a lot more pleaseant (lounges, Global Entry, etc) as well as give you a good return on spend if your household has both.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shadowfactor
I saw the Altitude in another thread and even looked at it, but then I’m still split across programs. Thanks for the thought.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkhan1093
I hadn’t even thought about what to do with CSP down the line but that’s a good argument for him getting the CSP, Thanks! Another Freedom would be good!
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few more questions:

Didn't Chase used to have a pre-qual tool on their site where they describe cards? I can't find it. 

I have read that they won't let someone have more than 1 CS product, I'm assuming at a time. So if say, I got CSR and DH got CSP, and later DH PC'd the CSP to a Freedom, then I could add him as an AU, right? As long as he didn't, at that time, have a CS product. 

And is there still an in-branch bump to 60k? 

Message 6 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Chase.com/prequalified

I believe the 1 sapphire rule doesn't apply to AU, could be wrong though.

From what i've read, the 60K bonus is for CPC.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto approved $32k

Highest limit yet. Didn't even require moving CL. 

I realized that I don't want to stress over two spend requirements right now so I'll get it for now, have it for an upcoming trip to BC, and then worry about what to do with him. 

(I checked my prequal before going and I had CSP. I checked his and he had FU, Slate, and CSP, so he should be good to go as long as nothing drastically changes.)

Message 8 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

wrote:

Auto approved $32k

Highest limit yet. Didn't even require moving CL. 

I realized that I don't want to stress over two spend requirements right now so I'll get it for now, have it for an upcoming trip to BC, and then worry about what to do with him. 

(I checked my prequal before going and I had CSP. I checked his and he had FU, Slate, and CSP, so he should be good to go as long as nothing drastically changes.)

Awesome approval..  Congrats

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I'm looking at the chase site deciding if I want to pick something up on the 'free' credit pull. United free for first year...40k miles...prolly going to Denver this summer...that's another 2k spend...

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.