Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so excited got my first amex!!!!!

tag
babypanda
Established Member

so excited got my first amex!!!!!

i'm posting thiis for other people to go for it and apply! also asking for an advice.

a little background. income between 50k and 100k, credit karma scores of 650-660ish on both transunion and equafax. for the past few years my family had to rely on credit cards, so at least half of my cards were at 95% + utilization ratio....then a few months ago i paid all my cards down to 50% utiliation.... i have a few comenity cards vs, paypal, hsn, amazon, walmart and a few capital one cards, a discover card, a few US bank cards. most of my cards had 1K limit. then i called and increased my limits on some of them, also got a barclaycard and a chase freedom. then a few days after that i was browsing credit karma and saw the everyday amex with very good approval odds, so i said what the heck, i'm on the roll, why not try and to my surpise got approved for 1k. then after reading here decided to apply for the bluecash the same day and was given a 7-10 message. i called the customer service and they said that it is because the system can't do 2 applications in a day? was told to wait 5 days and after 5 days now it is approved with a 10k limit! omg. i am so happy. What do I do now? Any tips guys? I read that amex doesn't like carrying a balance. Also I am just so happy and surpised I got approved, I alwasy thought you have to have like 750 score to be able to get an amex. My plan is to transfer some balances from capital one and US bank to chase freedom with a 0 % APR for 15 months trying to bring each card down to 30% utilization or less. Is it a right move? I want to increase my scores to be able to buy a house in a year or two. Also I have about 20 cards or more, should I close down the ones I don't use like hsn for example. Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: so excited got my first amex!!!!!

Congrats!! How do you know you don't have a 750 score? I mean credit karma scores are worthless and inaccurate plus Amex primarily pulls Experian which CK doesn't do. Well just use the cards like cash and pay them off monthly. Avoid carrying a balance for intrest sake, but if you do It won't be the end of the world. Amex may not like people to carry balances but they don't mind making a little money off you either. Just be responsible and reasonable and you'll be fine, once again Congrats!!!
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrat's.... so jealous

I app'd earlier this month and was denied due to BK.... so be hood to them and enjoy.

If you are hoing to buy a house, just moving balances around only improves your uti, not the total amount owed, which bank absolutely look at when considering if you are being responsible with your money and credit, they look at everything. So 50% uti is extremely high when going in for a home loan as well as having higher interest rates as they see you as more of a risk.

Once again congrats
Message 3 of 17
babypanda
Established Member

thanks a lot! turns out you were right! well after receiving my card and the paperwork that came with it......turns out my experian fico score was 715....... but the credit karma app always said 655-665?

Message 4 of 17
nycplayboy78
Regular Contributor

@babypanda wrote:

thanks a lot! turns out you were right! well after receiving my card and the paperwork that came with it......turns out my experian fico score was 715....... but the credit karma app always said 655-665?

Awesome and great score welcome to the 700 Club oh wait isn't that a religious channel for Old Folks o.O

Anywhoo DROP Credit Karma they suck donkey balls....Use MyFico exclusively with their 3B product for $30 a month....Can't beat it and now they give your new FICO 9 scores...YIPPIE!!!!

EX08 801 EQ08 812 TU08 805 Total Credit Line: $100K+
Message 5 of 17
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@babypanda wrote:

CK is good to see what is in your credit report. As far as the scores, they use Vantage 3.0 which is only as useful as me telling you that you have 800 credit score according to me. Smiley Happy Coming from a rebuilding process since may, i have been monitoring my scores on several different websites, paid and free. Started with 500 fico across the board and in a year up to 700+ fico. The best thing i can tell you as far as the difference between CK scores and fico socres is, if you have bad credit with charge off's and collections, CK scores will be higher, if you have better credit, your fico scores will be higher. When CK used to tell me i had almost 700 TU score, my fico TU was little over 600. Very interestingly, as my credit improved, my fico scores were climbing up and ck was falling down, and as fico scores got better and better, CK scores has been stuck where they are for quite a while now.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 6 of 17
babypanda
Established Member

haha thanks i'd love to get into the 700's clubSmiley Happy but turns out i don't even know my true scores....i guess i will have to get a paid high-quality service for that? the one on front page of this forum for $58, is it the one that a lot of credit veterans here use? at that price i assume it's super reliable... does it renew monthly? 

Message 7 of 17
babypanda
Established Member

looks like you did a great job.... all of this is a bit confusing as another letter i received was a denial for a credit limit increse because my transunion is 595???!!!! but how? i don't have any collections/charge offs, no late payments and within this past month i got 4 new cards but if anything it should've helped with my utilization right? i also got a credit limit increase on half of my cards,  but added few new hard inquires. how would this be accurate? also will my scores ever be 750ish if i just stay in the 30% ratio and not the magic 9% i read about in this forum? thanks for your input

Message 8 of 17
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Yes and actually it is not even $58 it is $29.95 a month, and you get your full 3 bureau credit report when you sign up, and all of your fico scores. You may or may not know but there is not only 1 fico scores, there are several different fico score versions. For example Amex may tell you your fico is 710 when they pull it for a credit card application, but when you go to apply for a car loan, it may be 690 or 750. The Myfico website gives you all of those scores, 24 hour monitoring, and everytime there is a change in your credit report, it updates your fico scores. This is what i use too, and recently i applied for mortgage and the mortgage score i see here and the ones that were pulled were identical on all 3 bureaus. So technically you can not get any more accurate than this. Smiley Happy And you get a free updated credit report every 3 months here on myfico.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babypanda wrote:

haha thanks i'd love to get into the 700's clubSmiley Happy but turns out i don't even know my true scores....i guess i will have to get a paid high-quality service for that? the one on front page of this forum for $58, is it the one that a lot of credit veterans here use? at that price i assume it's super reliable... does it renew monthly? 

@babypanda I currenty subscribe to the MyFico Ultimate 3B.  I pay approx $33/month and every time something occurs that impacts my scores (whether my utilization is up/down, new inquiry, new account, etc) I receive notification for all three bureaus. They tell you what is impacting your score and give you your updated score.  Every three months you receive access to a full credit report for all three bureaus.  I am very paranoid about my credit scores now that I am in the market to purchase a new home so I want to make sure I am aware of EVERYTHING on all three reports.  I had an issue a approximately three years ago where an error dropped all of my scores by 100+ points and I was unable to close on a house I was looking to purchase.  Now I want to make sure there are no suprises.  

Once I do purchase a home (later on this year.. fingers crossed) I will probably cancel or downgrade the subscription.  I can always access my reports via annualcreditreport.com and most credit cards provide a credit score update monthly for one of the bureaus - which will most likely be enough for me. 

The $58 is just a one-time look at all of your scores & reports for all three bureaus - it does not renew monthly. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.