805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Interest-free BT on existing Navy card

Bummer!  Always another shoe dropping in 2020/2021 😆

Message 11 of 17
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston Did you receive the Amex offer notification via email or was it listed in offers? 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 12 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@SPChaser wrote:

@K-in-Boston Did you receive the Amex offer notification via email or was it listed in offers? 

@SPChaser it's a banner at the top of the screen when looking at each of my personal cards (revolvers and charge).  No Fee Plan It for all purchases of $100 or more when I create a plan by the end of this month.  I've done a few and they were all eligible for 24 months - that's a long time for a lot of free float.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the 0% offer on me GoRewards, since i don't need a BT I'll just take advantage of zero interest on purchases for a year! Although its structure is food and gas so..

Message 14 of 17
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

@SPChaser it's a banner at the top of the screen when looking at each of my personal cards (revolvers and charge).  No Fee Plan It for all purchases of $100 or more when I create a plan by the end of this month.  I've done a few and they were all eligible for 24 months - that's a long time for a lot of free float.

@K-in-Boston thanks. Must be targeted promo becuase it's not there for me. Even did a chat to ask about it, and the offers not available for me. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 15 of 17
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Re: Interest-free BT offer on existing Navy cards

Plot twist! 

This week I got another email from Navy, very similar to the first. Subject line this time was "[Name], ring in the New Year with a low APR."  Here's the key part:

68953C20-257D-4D35-8022-FC65BB8F9629.jpeg

So the BT part is gone, which makes sense because it expired 12/24 according to the Sleigh the Season email from a month ago. But in every other way, this offer is identical to the first -- 0% APR on purchases through 10/31/2022, same three cards shown in the image, and a "Learn More" button that leads to a URL containing "dormant-accounts-pur-bt." Last month, I learned my card wasn't actually eligible for this offer because I had PC'ed it from cashRewards to Flagship, and the December offer was only for Go Rewards, cashRewards and Platinum (consistent with the photo in the email). The logical conclusion is this is a second phase of advertising for the same offer as before, so I am still ineligible for it. 

But I didn't see any harm in calling the friendly folks at Navy to ask if this offer is actually on my account. The CSR seemed inexperienced. At first he didn't understand what I was asking. But he earnestly wanted to be helpful, so he put me on hold to look into it. The information I was seeking seems like it should have been quick and easy for a CSR or his supervisor to find, but I was on hold for a really long time. The call lasted 24 minutes. At the end of that long hold, the CSR came back on and told me that the promo rate is on my card. 

I wasn't convinced, so I decided to let a small balance report and see what my statement said about the matter. Statement appeared today, and sure enough, I do have a 0% promo APR... until December 14, 2022! 

Navy Flagship Promo APR.JPG

So what happened? My best guess is that the emailed offer wasn't actually available for my card, but somehow the CSR's behind-the-scenes actions resulted in someone putting a special discretionary promo rate on my account. I've heard stories of people calling Discover and asking for -- and getting! -- promo 0% APRs on purchases on existing cards. I don't recall ever hearing that such a thing was even possible with Navy, but it sure looks like it happened to me.

Message 16 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Interest-free BT offer on existing Navy cards

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Plot twist! 

This week I got another email from Navy, very similar to the first. Subject line this time was "[Name], ring in the New Year with a low APR."  Here's the key part:

68953C20-257D-4D35-8022-FC65BB8F9629.jpeg

So the BT part is gone, which makes sense because it expired 12/24 according to the Sleigh the Season email from a month ago. But in every other way, this offer is identical to the first -- 0% APR on purchases through 10/31/2022, same three cards shown in the image, and a "Learn More" button that leads to a URL containing "dormant-accounts-pur-bt." Last month, I learned my card wasn't actually eligible for this offer because I had PC'ed it from cashRewards to Flagship, and the December offer was only for Go Rewards, cashRewards and Platinum (consistent with the photo in the email). The logical conclusion is this is a second phase of advertising for the same offer as before, so I am still ineligible for it. 

But I didn't see any harm in calling the friendly folks at Navy to ask if this offer is actually on my account. The CSR seemed inexperienced. At first he didn't understand what I was asking. But he earnestly wanted to be helpful, so he put me on hold to look into it. The information I was seeking seems like it should have been quick and easy for a CSR or his supervisor to find, but I was on hold for a really long time. The call lasted 24 minutes. At the end of that long hold, the CSR came back on and told me that the promo rate is on my card. 

I wasn't convinced, so I decided to let a small balance report and see what my statement said about the matter. Statement appeared today, and sure enough, I do have a 0% promo APR... until December 14, 2022! 

Navy Flagship Promo APR.JPG

So what happened? My best guess is that the emailed offer wasn't actually available for my card, but somehow the CSR's behind-the-scenes actions resulted in someone putting a special discretionary promo rate on my account. I've heard stories of people calling Discover and asking for -- and getting! -- promo 0% APRs on purchases on existing cards. I don't recall ever hearing that such a thing was even possible with Navy, but it sure looks like it happened to me.

Congrats! Maybe I should call in and ask too. Smiley LOL

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.