Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% Interest & No Foreign Transaction Fees

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

0% Interest & No Foreign Transaction Fees

I'm going to be making a large charge overseas.  I was wondering if there was a card that had a 0% interest intro period and also has no foreign transaction fees?  Need to limit it to Visa or Mastercard, as Amex & Discover are not accepted.  My score is over 800, and have a good income, so don't anticipate approval to be an issue.

TIA!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 0% Interest & No Foreign Transaction Fees

Message 2 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

NFCU cashRewards (6 months, $150 SUB)

BECU Cash Back Visa (12 months)

Bank of America Travel Rewards (12 months, $250 SUB)

FNBO China Airlines Gold (6 months, 7500 miles SUB, $59 AF)

US Bank Altitude Go (12 months, $250 SUB)

Alternately, depending on the amount, how long you plan on carrying the balance, and the approved APR, it may be more beneficial to get a card with a very large SUB like Citi Premier or Chase Sapphire Preferred (both minimum $725 SUB, $95 AF) or if you can make use of the credits to justify the large AFs, US Bank Altitude Reserve or Chase Sapphire Reserve (both minimum $750 SUB, $400 and $550 AFs).

Message 3 of 17
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Super helpful K-in-Boston!

I thought no FTF + 0% APR would be a unicorn, nice to know I could get a SUB too.

I have the CSR, so that is out.

The Citi Premier or the US Bank Altitude GO would be the most useful for me.  I have significant credit limits with them on currenlty unused cards.  How are they with moving credit limits around? 

Message 4 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For Citi, you'll essentially have to be approved for a CLI on the card the limit is being moved to and it will usually be a HP.  (Alternately, if you are denied for a card, during a recon call they may be willing to lower another limit for you.)  US Bank used to do credit line reallocations, but stopped doing so a few years ago.

Edit:  It is surprising how many unicorns with 0% intro APR and no FTFs there are.  And to expand on Dumbee's post, CapOne options would be:

VentureOne (12 months, 20,000 miles)

Quicksilver (15 months, $150)

SavorOne (15 months, $150)

Message 5 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Super helpful K-in-Boston!

I thought no FTF + 0% APR would be a unicorn, nice to know I could get a SUB too.

I have the CSR, so that is out.

The Citi Premier or the US Bank Altitude GO would be the most useful for me.  I have significant credit limits with them on currenlty unused cards.  How are they with moving credit limits around? 

It would be interesting to know what sort of foreign purchase of a large amount would not be coded as Travel for the CSR? 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 17
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Great, even more options!

How is CapitalOne for moving CL's?  I have a high CL on the QS already.

Message 7 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

CapOne doesn't do reallocations.  They go back and forth on offering account combinations (closing a card and moving the entire limit), but at this time even that is not an option.

Message 8 of 17
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

I have the HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard, which offers no annual fee, 3% cashback on everything for the first 12 months then 1.5% after that, no foreign transaction fees and 0% APR for the first 12 months. Hope this is helpful!

Message 9 of 17
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

NRB525 - this is going to be a medical charge, so can't imagine it would code as travel.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.