Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% on new purchases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

0% on new purchases

We're closing on a house in about three weeks. We are planning on spending between 10 and 25 thousand on new furniture, appliances  etc. I'm considering refinancing our car as we can get 36 months at less than 2% and could get about $12k out of it, which may be enough.
However, it may be better, and cheaper to use 0% offers to buy the furniture on that card. 

I'd prefer to use an existing card.

Anyone know if any lenders will often extend 0% offers on new purchases to encourage spending on those cards? We don't typically carry a balance from month to month. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 0% on new purchases

Some do, some don't.  It depends on the lender and whether any offers are available.

Which lenders do you currently have or plan on using?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great question... here's who we have ccs with:
discover 

PenFed 

nusenda 

amex 

aod 

citi double cash

chase freedom

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover will often give you 0% for 12 months if you have gone 6 months without a promo APR or permanent APR reduction. I would hop on chat and say something to the extent of "I have some large purchases coming up and I was wondering if I have any offers on my account." That has scored me 0% for 12 months twice now. 

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover will often give you 0% for 12 months if you have gone 6 months without a promo APR or permanent APR reduction. I would hop on chat and say something to the extent of "I have some large purchases coming up and I was wondering if I have any offers on my account." That has scored me 0% for 12 months twice now. 

I didnt even have to mention large purchases lol. If you have offers you have offers regardless reasons one gives. Sort of like when people would call Sync looking for an increase , they want to get all elaborate with the csr thinking it makes a difference in getting one. It doesnt. Just ask lol. I agree Disco is great for these Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a great question... here's who we have ccs with:
discover 

PenFed 

nusenda 

amex 

aod 

citi double cash

chase freedom

Last week Discover gave me 0% for 12 months on new purchases. I think they would a great place to start.

Good luck 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 10
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt even have to mention large purchases lol. If you have offers you have offers regardless reasons one gives. Sort of like when people would call Sync looking for an increase , they want to get all elaborate with the csr thinking it makes a difference in getting one. It doesnt. Just ask lol. I agree Disco is great for these Smiley Happy

I didn't say anything specific, just said "hey do I have any offers?" They said yes, 0% for 12 months on new purchases. That was it, done deal!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! 

Message 8 of 10
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the above. Disco gave me 0% for 12 months last month when I called and told them I was thinking of cancelling.

$5k CLI too, but I digress....

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah Disco seems to be teh best when it coems to 0% promos, the others that I have generally only offer lower rates ranging from 1.99% to 8.99% for a set time usually 6-12 months. Still it's better than the average normal rate of a CC at around 21% if you can't find any 0% offers.

Though if not maybe it's worth apping a new product after closing for that 0%. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.