Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-2-3-4 Comenity Is OUT The Door !!! They Closed My Total Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1-2-3-4 Comenity Is OUT The Door !!! They Closed My Total Rewards

In an earlier post I mentioned that I applied for some other cards to diversify my portfolio in case any of the issuers went off the rails.  Well guess what .......Comenity crapped and fell back in it in my opinion.  They closed my Total Rewards card that they issued last week GO FIGURE.

I apped for a Total Rewards card Thanksgiving week and got instant approval for $20,000.  They sent the card out last week and today I get an alert from Equifax that the account is closed. WTH?????  I called Comenity and the CSR who really understood my frustration (really??) said it looks like we closed it due to recent inquiries.  I said well that is old news since you should have seen them when you inquired about my credit.  If they bothered you so much whey did you approve and then issue a card?  At any rate the CSR was nice and polite and so was I because I really don't give a hoot at this time but I asked her to escalate the call anyway.  The supervisor came on also understanding my frustration (I wish all these companies did not understand my frustration, I've heard this so much whenever you have a problem) and basically repeated the same spill.  I said ok on three, 1.........2.........3...... SNIP SNIP TRASH. Problem solved.  I just love my sharp scissors.  They made quick work on that card. (I think the CSR thought I was a nutter).

Now I am moving on to close Overstock and VS (i'll hide the scissors so my other half does not get them after me because of VS).

Future applicants should give any Comenity cards a 10 day waiting period after they receive the card just in case.

1-2-3-4 Comenity Is out the door !!!!  

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Re: 1-2-3-4 Comenity Is OUT The Door !!! They Closed My Total Rewards

That sucks mostly because it will show as an 1 month opened account and closed. 

I have had my TWV for a few years now and it seems to be maxed at 25k CL. Honestly I only use it when booking rooms in vegas and for smalls charges and normally get those comped out anyway so I end up not using it much at all. 

I have opened tons of accounts and had tons of inquries over the past few years so not sure why it triggered yours. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Klesko wrote:

I have had my TWV for a few years now and it seems to be maxed at 25k CL. Honestly I only use it when booking rooms in vegas and for smalls charges and normally get those comped out anyway so I end up not using it much at all. 

I have opened tons of accounts and had tons of inquries over the past few years so not sure why it triggered yours. 

Who knows.  That kind of behavior is the reason I am spreading my cards over different lenders so if one goes nuts it does not hurt me.  I don't care that they have a problem with inquiries I just resent the fact they didn't deny the app immediately.  Why approve it instantly and issue a card and then close it within 10 days.  That is the crazy part.  Not that it matters to them but they have lost me as a customer on TR and the Overstock and Victorias Secret cards as well. I  try to pay in full so they weren't going to make any money off me anyway.  Good riddance.  Thanks for your post.

Message 3 of 22
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that as that was a great SL for that card. BTW, How many inquiries do you have and how many within the last 6 months? On EQ. It is possible that they may have cited INQS as the issue but I'm pretty positive that there is something else that spooked them in combination to that.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 4 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I think you may have a case for the CFPB here. I would file a complaint on this and ask that the remedy be removal of the TL and the inquiry from your CR.

Message 5 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I think you may have a case for the CFPB here. I would file a complaint on this and ask that the remedy be removal of the TL and the inquiry from your CR.

I think the INQ is valid, it would be there even if the OP had been declined initially..

No sure if there realy is CFPB as accounts can be closed at any time, but maybe worth a try.  But anything CFPB, do it quickly!   Not a fave of the incoming adninistration 

Message 6 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The inquiry will likely stand because it would be there regardless of approval or not. You may be able to fight to get the trade line removed but accounts can be closed at any time so there's no guarantee, legally speaking.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that as that was a great SL for that card. BTW, How many inquiries do you have and how many within the last 6 months? On EQ. It is possible that they may have cited INQS as the issue but I'm pretty positive that there is something else that spooked them in combination to that.

At the time I had 8 inquiries on EQ, 5 were 6 months old so 3 recent including theirs.  At least 3 or 4 of the inquiries were for CU share accounts not CC's. I did get approvals on Citi Double Cash and NFCU the same week. One of those was EX not EQ.  The even more bizarre thing is the CSR initially said there looked like fraud on one of the accounts.  I shot this down as I monitor all 3 bureaus a couple times a week and I have alerts set up on all three bureaus directly so I informed her there is no fraud.  Then she said the inquiries so I nor they know WTH is going on.  One less card in rotation for me to deal with.  Sometimes things happen for the better and this may be one of them.  Thanks for your response.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Klesko wrote:

I don't know what put a burr up their rear either.  I could kick my own rear end for even applying but I play most exclusively at Caesers so I thought the TR Visa would be beneficial.  I too get comped for most everything but I liked the auto Platinum so I wouldn't have to play a lot to keep my Diamond each year.  

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I think the INQ is valid, it would be there even if the OP had been declined initially..

No sure if there realy is CFPB as accounts can be closed at any time, but maybe worth a try.  But anything CFPB, do it quickly!   Not a fave of the incoming adninistration 

I'm more of a water under the bridge, let it go Louie person so unless it's closure is going to  tank my score I will probably not waste any further energy on them.  My UT is low so hopefully it won't do much.  If anyone has any input on this chime in.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.