Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year of business swipes; V/MC/AX/DISC data:

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: 1 year of business swipes; V/MC/AX/DISC data:

I compiled all the data given for the restaurants owned by BBS and KIB and organized them in a spreadsheet.

It's clear that while Visa does take the cake for most transactions and $ spent, Amex lives up to their reputation of having cardholders that spend the most money. Guess it really is worth those "higher" transaction fees Smiley Wink

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 31 of 41
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Both great data posts!

20 years ago when I worked for AmEx, Merchant Services (the guys who sold accepting AmEx) had a McKinsey study showing that our customers spent more than V/MC customers and that was why it made sense to accept a card with a higher discount fee.  Some of this data bears that out but I am sure the low utility (lack of usage) bothers AmEx.  

I have AmEx cards and no animus toward them but I have to wonder if Millenials give a **bleep** about any "prestige" AmEx used to have.  I really wonder how AmEx will relate to younger demographics.  Thus far the answer seems to be: not well.  

I will say that my BCP gets its category usage but my PRG is used rarely.  Chase gets 90% of my spend now.  And I am a "at the very end of the Baby Boomer" guy.  

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the reason why most of them are visa is because in upstate NY, at least from what I've seen, people tend to be poorer and not have good jobs, and lousier credit therefore not enabling them to qualify for premium charge cards like amex etc.

Also, is your profit high on that 4M or not. Restaurants are by far the hardest business out there to make money with. Had many friends lose EVERYTHING over the years due to not doing well with franchised and non-franchises restaurants.

I'm not in a poor area of NY.  While I said "upstate NY" where I live is only about an hour and a half north of NYC which is considered by most people in NYS to be downstate for the most part.  People living in NYC would consider me "upstate" but the vast majority of the state wouldn't as I can travel 3 hours north and still be in NY and I'm a 6 hour drive to Buffalo, for example.  The area I live in is Dutchess County, which if you look at a map isn't far from Westchester County which is a very expensive area as many may be aware.

To answer your profitability question, for the year we hit 28% operating profit on those $4.1M in sales, so a little over $1.1 was left for the owners.  Restaurants are extremely hard to be profitable in though, no doubt and those margins are shrinking every year.  That $1.1M today would have easily been $1.8M in the late 90's, which makes it scary to think what will happen in another 20 years...

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:

Both great data posts!

20 years ago when I worked for AmEx, Merchant Services (the guys who sold accepting AmEx) had a McKinsey study showing that our customers spent more than V/MC customers and that was why it made sense to accept a card with a higher discount fee.  Some of this data bears that out but I am sure the low utility (lack of usage) bothers AmEx.  

I have AmEx cards and no animus toward them but I have to wonder if Millenials give a **bleep** about any "prestige" AmEx used to have.  I really wonder how AmEx will relate to younger demographics.  Thus far the answer seems to be: not well.  

I will say that my BCP gets its category usage but my PRG is used rarely.  Chase gets 90% of my spend now.  And I am a "at the very end of the Baby Boomer" guy.  

With the demise of the Costco-AmEx relationship I wouldn't be surprised if most places eventually stop accepting it.

Message 34 of 41
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

which makes it scary to think what will happen in another 20 years...

I have friends who own a lot of McDonalds.  They are slowly migrating to kiosks to reduce labor costs and looking at the machines being developed to aid in if not entirely take over food prep.  As the minimum wage has gone up, it has hard to pass that cost on to consumers.  People will find alternatives when a Big Mac meal is $10.  

I have also noticed at casual dining (Appleby's as an example) one can order from a table-based tablet that runs ads (revuenue for the owner) and cuts out the need for some labor.  I agree, it will be interesting.

Maybe we all go retro and return to the Automat?

Message 35 of 41
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've only banked at 4 places in my lifetime (Comerica, Bank of America, PNC and a Credit Union) and I've never noticed that they have all been Visa's. Do banks even do Mastercard debits?

The distance between Visa and Mastercard is pretty grand. Nice datapoints Smiley Happy

My CU uses debit MasterCard. 

Message 37 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:

I've seen a few posts here over time where people want Amex cards, particularly the green one, because it's iconic, it's what their parents had (usually the father in those times!) etc    I suspect many of these people have a late generation smartphone though, rather than relying on the Princess or earlier models of the phones their parents had!    So I guess at least for those, Amex marketing was successful.,,,,

(Yes, I know that ccs haven't advanced at anything like the pace of telecomm....)

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My altura cu is a mastercard debit

Message 39 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

MC now has Capital one cards so 2017 should look a little different w/ one of the largest CCC switching from Visa.

If Chase did this I would think MC would lead.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.