Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$100 AmEx Credit Limit Increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$100 AmEx Credit Limit Increase?

Hi, I know there's a thread about this already but I couldn't really find my answer. I just applied for a CLI for my Amex BCE card. I've had the card for well over a year, have never made a late payment and I didn't have any sort of balance on it until this month (I wasn't using it, so I wanted to use it this month so it wasn't going unused for months.) My current limit is $1,000. I have a good FICO score (721) and my Amex is my card with the lowest limit. I have a Discover, Chase, Wells Fargo and a two other store cards, all of them with limits of $1600-$5000. 

I applied for the CLI online last night and was told I was instantly approved for a $100 increase, making my limit $1100. It asked me to accept or deny the offer, and I stupidly accepted it because I figured they might just send me a letter in the mail saying I was approved for more than that (that's happened to me with Discover before). So, I spoke with customer service last night and she told me if I hadn't accepted the offer, she probably could've helped me out, but since I accepted it I'm no longer eligible for an increase for 6 months. I asked if there was a backdoor number I could call, and she gave me this number: 623-492-7498. I called that number, who then transferred me to a person who dealt with the complete OPPOSITE of what I needed, people who had their CLI's DECREASED or had restrictions put on their account. So she went and spoke with someone in the right department and told me the same thing the woman I talked to last night told me, which is I'm stuck with the $100 increase and can apply in 6 months for another one.

My question is, will the backdoor number (800-230-1284) be able to help me out with this? Or am I just stuck with it?  I've never heard of a $100 increase, that number is so odd to me.... I was looking for maybe $3,000+ and I know Amex is known for being great with CLI's. 

Would love any input, this is very frsutrating. Smiley Sad Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

Re: $100 AmEx Credit Limit Increase?

I mean if that's all AMEX willing to give you then it is what it is. I have never recon with AMEX on CLI decisions, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to try. 

I have way too many cards ...
Message 2 of 13
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Amex in general is known to be tough with recons.  Did you ask for the full 3x cli?   Before you know it though 6 months would pass it is probably to late now so I wouldn't beat yourself up to much what done is done you know better next time.

Message 3 of 13
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

How much of a CLI did you ask for?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came across that 3x cli forum but I didn't really understand it (I just skimmed through it though, so that may be why). But yeah I'm just going to wait the 6 months. Just a bummer that I accepted it! Luckily it wasn't a hard pull I guess

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for them to bump my limit up to $3000

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I came across that 3x cli forum but I didn't really understand it (I just skimmed through it though, so that may be why). But yeah I'm just going to wait the 6 months. Just a bummer that I accepted it! Luckily it wasn't a hard pull I guess

Do you happen to have a 2nd AMEX that's up for a 3X CLI soon? If so, perhaps you may want to do the 3X CLI on that card (hopefully get approved) and then ask if you could transfer some of the limit over to your BCE... Just a thought... Good Luck!!! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

Actually did the right thing--took what they were willing to give rather than nothing at all, if declined the CLI offer, most likely would still be at 1k.

To try to maximize CLI request outome with Amex going forward, use the card regularly and PIF prior to request. (timing was off, avoid placing a request after a period of non use)

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 13
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I don't think amex will give a cli on another card if you just had a cli on a different amex card. I requested a cli on my Amex ED card , they denied me because I just recently received a cli on my true earnings card. They said you have to wait 6 months between cli's.
Message 9 of 13
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@ways2go wrote:
I don't think amex will give a cli on another card if you just had a cli on a different amex card. I requested a cli on my Amex ED card , they denied me because I just recently received a cli on my true earnings card. They said you have to wait 6 months between cli's.

This is true. Amex offers one cli per customer, per 180 days.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.