Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$100k Amex / Capital One $500

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: $100k Amex / Capital One $500

Cap One definitely has bucketed cards, although I'm not sure of the accuracy or dating of the BINs starting with 5178 that you found.  Cap One has a massive number of MasterCard BINs (mostly for prepaid products).  There are certainly both Visa and MasterCard products that are "bucketed."  Cap One did allow merging of accounts until a few years ago, but that is no longer the case. 

I had a couple of accounts in the 90s (shortly after they changed their name to Capital One) that I long ago merged into another account opened around 2000, and then in 2015 I found myself with a total of 4 Cap One cards (2 originally Cap One and another 2 that had been acquired from other lenders, all opened at the turn of the century).  I combined those into one card of around $10k and was able to do a product change to Venture One, but no matter what they were not budging with a CLI.  I finally ended up closing the card in 2016.  Essentially, those older cards that I acquired when I had very little (but never bad) credit were never going to change even with credit scores in the 800s and other credit cards with limits close to 6 digits.

As mentioned upthread, you may want to try to see if you can product change them to cards with no annual fees if the age is very important to you.  But they will definitely continue to stay on your credit reports and contribute to credit aging for up to 10 years, at which point all of your other accounts will have also aged.  But even with no annual fees, I ultimately decided to just cut the cord despite the card ages.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigseegar wrote:

Just curious on the AmEx card. Which card do yiou have? Because I have 6 AmEx card, 3 Chargers (Platinum, Gold and Green) and 3 Credit (BCP, HH, EDC) and I've been a Member since 1984 and Chargers don't have a hard limit (although there is a formula AX uses that sets an unknown one internally) I don't think I've ever seen a $100K on a Credit card with them.

It's an Amex Platinum Open.  A local business rep (who knew) reached out to me with a push to pay all of our business bills through Amex.  I had a 20k monthly ceiling that moved to 100k after providing them with business bank statements.  While it is a business card, it is tied to my social.

Message 12 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

Just curious on the AmEx card. Which card do yiou have? Because I have 6 AmEx card, 3 Chargers (Platinum, Gold and Green) and 3 Credit (BCP, HH, EDC) and I've been a Member since 1984 and Chargers don't have a hard limit (although there is a formula AX uses that sets an unknown one internally) I don't think I've ever seen a $100K on a Credit card with them.

It's an Amex Platinum Open.  A local business rep (who knew) reached out to me with a push to pay all of our business bills through Amex.  I had a 20k monthly ceiling that moved to 100k after providing them with business bank statements.  While it is a business card, it is tied to my social.

Charge cards unfortunately don't really count when comparing their spending ability to revolving card products.  Your credit reports will not reflect your current spending ability (other than the high balance column, but of course even with a revolving product your reports can reflect $200,000 in the high balance column and $2,000 for the current limit if you have since received a credit line decrease or otherwise reallocated your limit) and other lenders are not privvy to Amex's internal algorithms and data.  (Edit: Also as yours is a business product it will not reflect on personal reports unless serious delinquent.)  My 3 charge cards definitely each have spending ability past $100k, but my total revolving limits with Amex are "only" around $90k.  Underwriting is very different between charge and revolving products with AENB.

Edit 2: To address an earlier post, Amex will definitely issue 6-digit (and even 7-digit) revolving credit limits.

Message 13 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, definitely call in and see if these cards can be upgraded to no-fee products. That doesn't help you with the low limits, but it would get rid of the main reason for closing the cards.

Message 14 of 17
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Nineteen years is a long time! They're definitely bucketed. So...

1) Try what @HeavenOhio suggested. Then, if that doesn't work,

2) Close them. They're not worth keeping.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 15 of 17
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

I used to think closing one or more of my oldest accounts was bad also until I learned they still get factored into your average age of accounts until they stop reporting (10 years). 

There is absolutely no reason to keep a Cap1 account open once you've outgrown that level of lender, and you've cited two reasons to close it in your post (bucketed and annual fee). 

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 16 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 Capital One Cards that were opened in 2003.  One with $500 limit, the other with $1000.  Expensive yearly fees.  Have never been able to get them to increase the limits.  Use them every month to the limits with recurring subscriptons/groceries and pay off full statement balance.  

I am so pissed at these cards but don't want to cancel them due to the history.  For context, mid 700's credit score and have an Amex with $100k limit.

This forum has been very helpful to me over the years and would love some advice on how to combine this down to a single Capital One card with a 10k or more limit.

Which other cards do you have? 

I'm just making sure your two cap one cards aren't your only credit cards in addition to one charge card.

If they happen to be your only ones, do not close them unless you've been approved for another credit card purely from scoring perspective. Having your only account be a charge card wouldn't be pretty, though I personally would love to see those data points. 

If they aren't your only ones and cap one will not remove/waive AFs on them, close them 10 years ago. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.