cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: 12% Off Giftcards this Saturday. EAT THAT BCP LOVERS!

If you're angry at Amex, put the entire $500 of monthly groceries on one transaction and eliminate the swipe fees they'd get all month.

Message 21 of 25
Cory
Established Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@fastfire667 wrote:

You guys are missing my point. Walmart.com is coded differently that the brick and motor stores. Walmart.com is coded as Direct marketing while brick and motor purchases are coded as discount stores. That is the only reason this works.

I am curious where you saw that the 2% bonus is limited to $250? It doesn't say that in the terms and conditions, and numerous people have posted that they spoke with Discover reps who said there was no cap and that the 6th is basically a "free spend" day.

While yo are right that you can purchase Walamrt gift cards online, gift card purchases are not eligible for the shop discover 5% bonus. On top of that, most items on Walmart.com can be ordered and paid for online, then picked up in store an hour later. Gift cards are not eligble for pick up today, so you need to have them shipped to your house which takes another week to do.

In regards to the ethicality, I don't see how this is any different than BCP cardholders buying tons of gift cards to other stores at their grocery store in order to get 6% back on those purchases. Nobody seems to bat an eye at that practice.

Oh and btw I'm a college student, so every dollar saved is well worth the effort for me Smiley Happy

I still feel like that's gaming the system, hence Amex putting a $6k cap on the 6% for groceries per year (starting in January). After the $6,000, it goes down to 1%.

It sure does look that way.  But as I mentioned what one person calls immoral or moral, the other person might say, no it's not. So there is no point of trying to convince otherwise. I would like to bet that AMEX will cap other cards too, and the other CC's will jump on board with their tight caps.

Message 22 of 25
calogan
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

And you've confirmed that you received 5% cashback from Walmart.com already? Would this work with Target.com as well?

If you don't have a Target Red Card (Debit card) that gives you an immediate 5% discount, free shipping, and no hard pull, new reporting account or other downside (just a chex credit check) then you're doing it wrong.

Amex Accelerated Cash Rewards. BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards. Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Now gardening until 2013. I assume gardening is a metaphor, like "book clubs" where all you do is drink wine.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a Target REDcard, actually. Smiley Very Happy The question is regarding Discover's 5% Cashback on department stores- since the OP (allegedly) found out that Walmart.com qualifies for the 5% cashback, I was asking if he knew if Target.com does the same thing. If so, one could theoretically get 5% for department bonus + 5% for ShopDiscover + 2% 10/6 bonus = 12% CB for purchases at Target.com.

Soooo... the question remains.. anyone know if this would work?? Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 25
firesoul453
Contributor

You can only get regualer cash back of UP TO 1% in addition too shopdiscover cash back. But  I don't think the 2% bonus counts twoards that.

So it would probably be 5%-8% cash back

not 12.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.