cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Member

【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Just want to share my experience, since this forum helped me a lot. It's time to give back Smiley Happy

 

Im on F1 visa here in NY, high school student, without SSN and the school wouldn't help me get one. (But I got a tax id number for my brokerage account)

So my credit card journey started on my 18th birthday. Sep. 2015. I applied three cards on my birthday lol 

Discover it denied due to lack of SSN.(I received an invitation letter before I even turned 18 lol)

Amex BCE. denied due to lack of credit history.

Chase Freedom approve 500 CL (After my banker made a few phone calls.)

 

Jan. 2016. I saw CSP and I lost control over my fingers. Filled out the application and received 30days message. The new account showed up on my online account one week after (5000 Credit limit)

April, my credit history is more than 6 months, then I applied for Amex BCE (The card I wanted since I was 16 because it is see through lol). Received a phone call from Amex, and we did a three way line with chase to verify my address. Amex asked for my passport number and issued country. Approved for 2000 CL.

 

Because my families are visiting US soon, would cost money on car rental, hotel and air tickets. Didnt want to spend all those money for 1%-2% back. I applied for

Citi prestige(Denied after requesting my proof of address, wth is the point to verify my address if they are gonna deny me anyways?) and Amex SPG(After I paid my BCE in full after reaching the signup bonus requirement.), instant approval for SPG!!!! Booked hotel and all. Realized Air tickets would cost more plus Citi denied me, then I applied for PRG lol (Im crazy), instant approval.  Fell in love with Amex already, how generous!!!

 

Then I applied for Chase IHG and Hyatt, both 30 days message, 5 days after, each approved for 5000 CL. I love chase too!

Applied for Amex platinum Mercedes benz, didnt want to miss 75k signup bonus since somehow I missed 100k signup bonus for normal platinum (highest bonus for this card these years.)  Instant approval !!! I love amex so much lol

 

Because im traveling to China in the summer, Discover it can go through with Union pay(Monopoly position in China). I tried discover it again. They denied me again because I dont have SSN. Yesterday I received a mail from them, stating im denied because I cant provide SSN, but they did the hard pull on Equifax!!!!  Not really mad over it tho, because only Experian provides me my credit report without me providing SSN. Equifax and Transunion would not provide me any information whatsoever, now at least I know what my credit score is at Equifax lol

 

EX: 692   EQ: 711    TU: Not provided      As of May 22. (BTW I filed a complaint to CFPB that two credit bureau refused to provide me my annual free credit report, which I assume federal law gave consumers rights to obtain their free credit report every year.)

 

Chase freedom 1000 CL  /  Chase Sapphire Preferred 5000 CL.  /  Chase IHG 5000 CL   / Chase Hyatt 5000 CL

Amex BCE 2000 CL  /  Amex SPG 2000 CL  / Amex PRG NPSL / Amex platinum for Mercedes Benz NPSL.

 

$20000 Credit limit for all and two NPSL !!! Hooaray!! 

 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Valued Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Hi fellow 18 year old! I'm 18 years old too and put simply I'm amazed with your journey! I love how you were so motivated and didn't give up until you got the cards you wanted. Also like how you persevered even though you didn't even have a SSN...which many people have yet aren't as successful as you. Good job and congratulations! Smiley Happy
.
Message 2 of 24
Member

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.


@Monoglot wrote:
Hi fellow 18 year old! I'm 18 years old too and put simply I'm amazed with your journey! I love how you were so motivated and didn't give up until you got the cards you wanted. Also like how you persevered even though you didn't even have a SSN...which many people have yet aren't as successful as you. Good job and congratulations! Smiley Happy

Haha  thanks!! And wow, im just amazed with your credit score and credit limit! 

Message 3 of 24
Established Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Congrats on your success! I too started right as I turned 18 and now I'm 21. Just have to keep pressing on for what you want.
Message 4 of 24
Regular Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.


@mt208 wrote:

Just want to share my experience, since this forum helped me a lot. It's time to give back Smiley Happy

 

Im on F1 visa here in NY, high school student, without SSN and the school wouldn't help me get one. (But I got a tax id number for my brokerage account)

So my credit card journey started on my 18th birthday. Sep. 2015. I applied three cards on my birthday lol 

Discover it denied due to lack of SSN.(I received an invitation letter before I even turned 18 lol)

Amex BCE. denied due to lack of credit history.

Chase Freedom approve 500 CL (After my banker made a few phone calls.)

 

Jan. 2016. I saw CSP and I lost control over my fingers. Filled out the application and received 30days message. The new account showed up on my online account one week after (5000 Credit limit)

April, my credit history is more than 6 months, then I applied for Amex BCE (The card I wanted since I was 16 because it is see through lol). Received a phone call from Amex, and we did a three way line with chase to verify my address. Amex asked for my passport number and issued country. Approved for 2000 CL.

 

Because my families are visiting US soon, would cost money on car rental, hotel and air tickets. Didnt want to spend all those money for 1%-2% back. I applied for

Citi prestige(Denied after requesting my proof of address, wth is the point to verify my address if they are gonna deny me anyways?) and Amex SPG(After I paid my BCE in full after reaching the signup bonus requirement.), instant approval for SPG!!!! Booked hotel and all. Realized Air tickets would cost more plus Citi denied me, then I applied for PRG lol (Im crazy), instant approval.  Fell in love with Amex already, how generous!!!

 

Then I applied for Chase IHG and Hyatt, both 30 days message, 5 days after, each approved for 5000 CL. I love chase too!

Applied for Amex platinum Mercedes benz, didnt want to miss 75k signup bonus since somehow I missed 100k signup bonus for normal platinum (highest bonus for this card these years.)  Instant approval !!! I love amex so much lol

 

Because im traveling to China in the summer, Discover it can go through with Union pay(Monopoly position in China). I tried discover it again. They denied me again because I dont have SSN. Yesterday I received a mail from them, stating im denied because I cant provide SSN, but they did the hard pull on Equifax!!!!  Not really mad over it tho, because only Experian provides me my credit report without me providing SSN. Equifax and Transunion would not provide me any information whatsoever, now at least I know what my credit score is at Equifax lol

 

EX: 692   EQ: 711    TU: Not provided      As of May 22. (BTW I filed a complaint to CFPB that two credit bureau refused to provide me my annual free credit report, which I assume federal law gave consumers rights to obtain their free credit report every year.)

 

Chase freedom 1000 CL  /  Chase Sapphire Preferred 5000 CL.  /  Chase IHG 5000 CL   / Chase Hyatt 5000 CL

Amex BCE 2000 CL  /  Amex SPG 2000 CL  / Amex PRG NPSL / Amex platinum for Mercedes Benz NPSL.

 

$20000 Credit limit for all and two NPSL !!! Hooaray!! 

 


Ayeeee, I enjoy seeing young adults being successful with the credit game. I started at age 18 and now I'm 23.

Garden Until Jan 2020

Total Credit Line: 108.6K Inquires: TU 2 | EX 3 | EQ 2
Starting Score: TU 690 | EX 694 | EQ 694 [01/20/12]
Current Score: TU 797 Fico 8 | EX 805 Fico 8 | EQ 778 Fico 8 [4/26/19]
Goal Score: 790 across all 3


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

I wished I would have been smarter about mt credit not long ago when I was that young. I paid no attention to it, literally. Good for you.
                               

Total Credit: $240,100Credit Utilization: 1%AAoA: 5 years, 7 monthsInstallments: Car Lease, Marcus LoanNegatives: 0

LOWES-35k | BOA-32.5k | AMEX-30k | DISC-27.1k | ALLIANT-25k | NFCU-25k | BARC-15k | BBUY-12k | CHASE-10k | WAL-10k | CITI-9.7k | PENFED-9.7k


Message 6 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Congrats, too bad that Discover changed her SSN policy. I was able to get mine 2 years ago.

Message 7 of 24
Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Congrats, you are off to an amazing start on a responsible credit path. Keep up the good work. I am sure there are many of us that look back and wished we started as responsibly as you have.

Message 8 of 24
Valued Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.


@mt208 wrote:

@Monoglot wrote:
Hi fellow 18 year old! I'm 18 years old too and put simply I'm amazed with your journey! I love how you were so motivated and didn't give up until you got the cards you wanted. Also like how you persevered even though you didn't even have a SSN...which many people have yet aren't as successful as you. Good job and congratulations! Smiley Happy

Haha  thanks!! And wow, im just amazed with your credit score and credit limit! 


Why thank you! I have had an advantage though.

.
Message 9 of 24
Senior Contributor

Re: 【18 and churning】Credit cards without SSN.

Where does the churning come in?  If you're just starting out, you don't want to churn.

Message 10 of 24