Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 yr old needing credit?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

18 yr old needing credit?

So my sister turns 18 in september. Of which to get her started i was going to add her to my QS card as an AU to help. Going from there i was wondering if anyone knows of a lender who would be willing to give her a card without limited to no history because i know now all lenders consider AU as an account. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: 18 yr old needing credit?

@Skye12329 wrote:

So my sister turns 18 in september. Of which to get her started i was going to add her to my QS card as an AU to help. Going from there i was wondering if anyone knows of a lender who would be willing to give her a card without limited to no history because i know now all lenders consider AU as an account. 

Add her as AU and for 6 months teach her about credit and she'll have scores after the 6 months 

Then you can discuss what cards will suit her I.E. secured or unsecured 

EDIT ....chase does not consider AU's when applying

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Currently teaching her about credit, as for the cards. Unsecured - was thinking Chase or Discover (i know chase doesnt consider AU) but was wondering would either of those give a first timer a card? As for her AAOA since i add her as a AU it should report with the date of when i opened the card correct which by that time the card will be 1 yr 4 mos old.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 9
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Add her as AU and for 6 months teach her about credit and she'll have scores after the 6 months 

I agree, make her an AU and then I would start her off with either a Cap1 or Discover Student, assuming she will be in college. Cap1 seems to be a good bridge from credit newbie to Prime

Message 4 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

I agree, make her an AU and then I would start her off with either a Cap1 or Discover Student, assuming she will be in college. Cap1 seems to be a good bridge from credit newbie to Prime

She will be going to college, so should she wait to apply for the Discover card will shes in college then or before?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Currently teaching her about credit, as for the cards. Unsecured - was thinking Chase or Discover (i know chase doesnt consider AU) but was wondering would either of those give a first timer a card? As for her AAOA since i add her as a AU it should report with the date of when i opened the card correct which by that time the card will be 1 yr 4 mos old.

She would have a good shot at CAP1 and Discover IMHO 

Chase can be fickle with new history sometimes 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

+1 you beat me Bravo

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 9
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

She will be going to college, so should she wait to apply for the Discover card will shes in college then or before?

I would definitely recommend having her wait until she has started college. I applied during my 2nd week. I’m glad I did because they request to see proof of my schedule, room assignment or something similar to that. They also asked to see my driver’s license, and a bank statement. Anyway after I uploaded all of that I just called them and they verified it and approved me for the card. It's a really easy process, but if your sister can't produce the college schedule I don't see her getting approved. I have referred a couple of my friends to the card (got $50 for each one I referred too!) and they were all approved after going through the same process! It's a great card too (and the customer service reps continue to impress me!) !

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 8 of 9
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

I have to chime in and recommend the BofA Cash Rewards student card since I know many people that got it in the same situation (new to credit, no history, student, etc) with decent starter limits ($700-$1200). The reward structure is really nice as well (3% gas, 2% groceries, and an extra 10% if she has a checking or savings account with them) so it's a great starter card in my opinion.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.