Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Exceptions, of course! It's to keep us guessing lol.
Message 9301 of 17,187
GreatAlaskan
Valued Member

I'm done. I'm soooo done with NFCU. I see people here getting approved in the 500s. A 21yr old college kid with almost no income got the flagship $25K SL. I'm at almost $200K annul with barely over $10K on 4 CC's, 2% carry, in the 700s finally, and I'm getting denied because....?

I have one Cash Rewards card, still with the original SL of $8K from 2yrs ago, no missed, no increases, still can't get a second card.  Tried for an increase 2mo ago and got nothing.

Anyway, I'm done! Garden for life...lol

Message 9302 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

I'm done. I'm soooo done with NFCU. I see people here getting approved in the 500s. A 21yr old college kid with almost no income got the flagship $25K SL. I'm at almost $200K annul with barely over $10K on 4 CC's, 2% carry, in the 700s finally, and I'm getting denied because....?

I have one Cash Rewards card, still with the original SL of $8K from 2yrs ago, no missed, no increases, still can't get a second card.  Tried for an increase 2mo ago and got nothing.

When did you try for a second card?  Navy is extremely bipolar on their approvals and often very stingy on CLIs. If you haven’t applied for a new card recently, you might give that a try. Over the past day or so, they seem to be handing out new cards with, arguably, irresponsible limits just simply for the asking. 

Message 9303 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
New cards are generally TU 9 and CLIs are generally EQ 9 but there are exceptions where those roles are switched.

+1   @Anonymous  that is the general rule, When alternate CB's are pulled is if someone has a CB frozen, and it could even result in an EX pull which is super rare for them, but could happen. 

Message 9304 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

Who knows why someone does and someone doesn't..  i will say it sounds like you have a great profile credit wise, Could it be DTI?  I know Navy is big on low DTI.    >10% and a college kid without a Mortgage or car payment, would have a low DTI. 

Message 9305 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the latest thinking on Navy CLIs?  Is 91/3 still a good option or should one wait 6 months as is suggested by Navy's customer service reps?

So 6 months is a good amount of time so that you have history built up.  91/3 is still a viable option for those with a clean profile/low DTI/higher income. In some cases, another card is easier to get than a CLI, which is another option to consider as well depending on your credit goals. 

Look forward to hearing of your success. 

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on my question.

I'm firmly in the garden for the forseeable future.  I was asking on behalf of a friend who applied for Cash Rewards card in May 2018 and was only approved for $1,000.  He then requested a CLI after 91/3 and was given a 3X increase to $3,000.  Needless to say he's been annoyed since then because he has excellent credit and by any objective standard he should have a larger limit ashe has an above average income and a low DTI.  He isn't interested in another Navy account except possibly through a product change.

Thankfully he doesn't read these boards as far as I know or he would be really worked up over Navy's approvals like this one:  Is this some sort of joke?!

@Anonymous   It could be DTI, i'm not sure. but that is usually a culprit with denials and good profiles.   Hope it works out for your friend. I had the same thing.  1k SL and then only a CLI to 3k, but a second card with 4k SL on it.  It was about 6 months and i got two SP CLI's to 7500 on both one right after the other, and a 15k SL Amex, so it does happen just takes time sometimes. 

As far as the other one goes, i'm wiling to bet that person has low or no DTI as it sound like they have nothing in there name, but a decent income.  I could be wrong.   I don't worry about what other people have or get as doing that will just make a person miserable worrying why not me. 

Message 9306 of 17,187
GreatAlaskan
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

Who knows why someone does and someone doesn't..  i will say it sounds like you have a great profile credit wise, Could it be DTI?  I know Navy is big on low DTI.    >10% and a college kid without a Mortgage or car payment, would have a low DTI. 

Yeah, I looked at a lot of stuff trying to figure it out too.  I rent, and probably should report that since NFCU uses F9 now especially since low 700s get you kicked to the curb for begging lol

My current DTI with mortgage standards applied are at 18%, DTI overall is 33%.  I really wish NFCU had a backdoor number so I can plan things carefully once I understand.  It's really silly to even imagine like you say a college kid with less than 4yrs of possible independant credit history and <10% DTI is considered to be the standard bearer credit profile when being compared to an established credit profile of around 15yrs, a responsible DTI% & established income.

Message 9307 of 17,187
GreatAlaskan
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

When did you try for a second card?  Navy is extremely bipolar on their approvals and often very stingy on CLIs. If you haven’t applied for a new card recently, you might give that a try. Over the past day or so, they seem to be handing out new cards with, arguably, irresponsible limits just simply for the asking. 

I tried for the second card today, that's after 2yrs of perfect payments on my first card, credit score has only increased with no baddies inbetween.  I tried a CLI a couple months ago on the Cash Rewards cc I have with them and was denied also.  Something in my profile just has them spooked, I dunno.

Message 9308 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GreatAlaskan wrote:

I tried for the second card today, that's after 2yrs of perfect payments on my first card, credit score has only increased with no baddies inbetween.  I tried a CLI a couple months ago on the Cash Rewards cc I have with them and was denied also.  Something in my profile just has them spooked, I dunno.

I take it you were denied today for the second card? And if so, you'll be getting a letter explaining why which will point you in the right direction.

Message 9309 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st NAVY Federal Credit no Credit Line Increase

After being approved for my first navy card for 4k. I applied for my second after 91 days, Got 20k and then my 3rd after another 90 days another 20k. However I can not get a credit line increase on my first card. Question, Do you think if i close it and open a new account I will be able to get another 20k card? Or another pointers that can help me.

Message 9310 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.