Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st date... Whip out the Discover?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1st date... Whip out the Discover?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Cash is boring, and does not pay cash back. Who wants to spend an extra few minutes counting dollars or coins or even carrying any cash around? If you lose stuff like me, then credit is best. Eye catching cards will impress a date, despite the superficiality of that concept. Actually, the last date I was on...we whipped out the same card, except theirs was the BCP while mine is the BCE. Lol but I hate AFs. Hahaha. Must be a good indicator if you have the same credit :-P

Well, if you wrap the coins before hand, then you need not to worry about coin counting. The amount is printed on the coin wrapper....Smiley Tongue

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 31 of 103
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

For God's sake, whatever  you do make sure you have some sort of wallet to house your form of payment. Please don't use a rubber band or bills that are crumpled in your pocket. lol

I always use CC whenever I can. I hate carrying cash.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 32 of 103
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@younngandcreditwrthy
Its faster to pay with cash so i dont know what you mean spend few minutes counting. When i pay cash i put the money on the table, get up and leave no need to wait for them to come back with receipt to sign and stuff.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 33 of 103
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

For God's sake, whatever  you do make sure you have some sort of wallet to house your form of payment. Please don't use a rubber band or bills that are crumpled in your pocket. lol

LOL. Imagine taking out a brown bag with cash inside?

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 34 of 103
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

LOL. Imagine taking out a brown bag with cash inside?

Can be a little more classy and have a brief case of cash.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 35 of 103
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Pahahaha! You guys are the best! I think if you have awesome enough credit to obtain an Amex or Discover or even other certain cards, that to me is a better indicator of financial stability than using cash. Idk why I have that mindset....using cash to pay for dinner says to me that you aren't smart with credit or debt management. Chances are, if you are using cash, you have just as much debt as the next guy. The fact is, most Americans have debt...and statistically speaking, wealthier people us credit cards as a financial tool....so using credit doesn't mean you're poor, broke, or debt laden; to me, it means you're a savvy consumer. Cards like Amex require financial stability, and a history therein, to obtain them. :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 36 of 103
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

jsickz... You have more cards than I do? And here you are being an advocate for cash? You really pay with cash, eh? ;-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 37 of 103
Jutz
Valued Contributor

What if I'm rockin' a Bluebird?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 38 of 103
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Pahahaha! You guys are the best! I think if you have awesome enough credit to obtain an Amex or Discover or even other certain cards, that to me is a better indicator of financial stability than using cash. Idk why I have that mindset....using cash to pay for dinner says to me that you aren't smart with credit or debt management. Chances are, if you are using cash, you have just as much debt as the next guy. The fact is, most Americans have debt...and statistically speaking, wealthier people us credit cards as a financial tool....so using credit doesn't mean you're poor, broke, or debt laden; to me, it means you're a savvy consumer. Cards like Amex require financial stability, and a history therein, to obtain them. :-)

Yeah most probably do.

I remember seeing a "Little House on the Parrie" episode where the main caractor dad/husband just got out of debt and he and his whole family along with the whole town knew that he was debt free and celebrated.

Then later in the episode, his friend needed money so, cuz he was a nice guy, he took out a mortage on his home again and went into debt to help his friend.

My point:  NO debt is BEST!  and is CELEBRATED.

Using CASH or debt card CASH, sends a STRONGER signal of financial stability and it always has.

Message 39 of 103
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

What if I'm rockin' a Bluebird?

Hey, whatever works.  Rock on! Smiley Very Happy

On a more serious note, I've found that I hardly ever have cash on me any more - it's just more convenient to carry a couple of cards and swipe for everthing.  However, I went through a Hardee's drive-through the other day while traveling, and they handed me out the receipt with a pen - I had to sign for a $4.50 charge. Smiley Surprised  Of course, I was in Amish country, so maybe they weren't as technologically savvy... Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 40 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.