cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

tag
DCreationrebel
New Contributor

1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

Went to make a payment in my Amex acct&seen a upgrade offer for Delta Platinum SkyMiles. I went ahead and accepted since.

I do like flying on Delta, no harm no foul✈👍😉
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: 1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

Nice, hope enjoySmiley Happy
Message 2 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: 1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

Congrats!  The Platinum is certainly a better card as long as you'll use the companion certificates going forward.  Going for a new application is usually more lucrative, but it's understandable that not everyone wants to open new accounts.  What was your upgrade bonus offer?

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations. I just got the Gold a couple of weeks ago and haven't even used it yet. If I'm logged in the Amex site it lists the platinum as a new card with an SUB. If I'm logged out, it shows it as "Request an Upgrade" with no offer.

Obviously I wouldn't do it in a way as to cheat myself out of TWO sign-up bonuses, but I don't think the platinum is in my long term plans either.  We're based in Toronto and our travel is to and from the US, not within it. 

Message 4 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations. I just got the Gold a couple of weeks ago and haven't even used it yet. If I'm logged in the Amex site it lists the platinum as a new card with an SUB. If I'm logged out, it shows it as "Request an Upgrade" with no offer.

Obviously I wouldn't do it in a way as to cheat myself out of TWO sign-up bonuses, but I don't think the platinum is in my long term plans either.  We're based in Toronto and our travel is to and from the US, not within it. 

I love the "request an upgrade" bug that Amex sometimes has.  Even though it shows you the link, your card cannot be upgraded until it has been opened for a year since The CARD Act prohibits raising annual fees in the first year (and nearly all card issuers extend that language to customer-initiated requests). 

While admittedly my airline of choice doesn't always have the best fares or routes to the GWN (especially when it comes to the Northeast US to Toronto), SkyMiles can be used to book WestJet flights and you can earn SkyMiles flying on WestJet.   Buffalo also has a strong Delta presence now, so if you don't mind starting with a little drive around the lake first that opens up yor options quite a bit.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

e the "request an upgrade" bug that Amex sometimes has.  Even though it shows you the link, your card cannot be upgraded until it has been opened for a year since The CARD Act prohibits raising annual fees in the first year (and nearly all card issuers extend that language to customer-initiated requests). 

While admittedly my airline of choice doesn't always have the best fares or routes to the GWN (especially when it comes to the Northeast US to Toronto), SkyMiles can be used to book WestJet flights and you can earn SkyMiles flying on WestJet.   Buffalo also has a strong Delta presence now, so if you don't mind starting with a little drive around the lake first that opens up yor options quite a bit.

Delta is my primary airline and travel within Canada isn't a factor. But the inconvenience and cost of driving to Buffalo would far outweigh the value of the companion ticket. In Toronto we take the public transit to the airport, so there's no parking cost like there'd be in Buffalo.

In the time we've been together we've only taken one round-trip flight together that wasn't Toronto-New York and even lots of our trips there involve arriving or leaving at different times or to/from different cities.

I was offered an upgrade to the Platinum in my first year with the Gold, but that was on a first year free basis. I waited to apply with a SUB instead.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats the offer?

I still have 4 months left before first AF on my Delta G, I thought about downgrading to blue, but don't want to lose the blue SUB. I may end up cancelling it and app for blue later, unless they give me an irresistible retention offer (20k+ miles).

Message 7 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats the offer?

I still have 4 months left before first AF on my Delta G, I thought about downgrading to blue, but don't want to lose the blue SUB. I may end up cancelling it and app for blue later, unless they give me an irresistible retention offer (20k+ miles).

The Blue SUB is generally pretty low, but the tricky thing with it is that you are not eligible if you have (or have had in the past 90 days) any of the Delta credit cards and of course by closing a card you gamble with the whole Welcome Offer eligibility question.  I've not personally seen any DPs of a retention offer that high for Gold (Platinum and Reserve, yes) except in a few cases where it was seeing very high spend.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats the offer?

The Blue SUB is generally pretty low, but the tricky thing with it is that you are not eligible if you have (or have had in the past 90 days) any of the Delta credit cards and of course by closing a card you gamble with the whole Welcome Offer eligibility question.  I've not personally seen any DPs of a retention offer that high for Gold (Platinum and Reserve, yes) except in a few cases where it was seeing very high spend.

Are you saying if I close delta gold after 12 months, amex may refuse me sub for delta blue even if I apply after 90 days of closing? I rarely close cards so I am not familiar with the dos and don'ts.

Tbh, even if they refuse me blue sub, I am not gonna keep delta gold open. The card is entirely useless to me at this point and AF is certainly not worth it.

Message 9 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston  Take a day off and write a primer

Also, if you could take two days off, I'd appreciate a  pop up book. Chapters should be color coded. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.