cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

Might as well go all the way and make an audio book that reads it to you

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1yr Anniversary Upgraded my Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles to The Platinum SkyMiles Card.

@simplynoir wrote:

He should submit it to DL for inclusion in the IFE catalog.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

He should submit it to DL for inclusion in the IFE catalog.  Smiley Very Happy

Indoctrinate the young kids yo Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats the offer?

I still have 4 months left before first AF on my Delta G, I thought about downgrading to blue, but don't want to lose the blue SUB. I may end up cancelling it and app for blue later, unless they give me an irresistible retention offer (20k+ miles).

The Blue SUB is generally pretty low, but the tricky thing with it is that you are not eligible if you have (or have had in the past 90 days) any of the Delta credit cards and of course by closing a card you gamble with the whole Welcome Offer eligibility question.  I've not personally seen any DPs of a retention offer that high for Gold (Platinum and Reserve, yes) except in a few cases where it was seeing very high spend.

Are you saying if I close delta gold after 12 months, amex may refuse me sub for delta blue even if I apply after 90 days of closing? I rarely close cards so I am not familiar with the dos and don'ts.

Tbh, even if they refuse me blue sub, I am not gonna keep delta gold open. The card is entirely useless to me at this point and AF is certainly not worth it.

They may or they may not.  It's hard to tell with them until you try.  The thought process lately has been to try to see if you can hold out for a minimum of 2 years if you plan to go after Welcome Offers in the near future.  I can agree that if you're not checking bags on Delta, it can be hard to justify the AF on Gold.  Platinum and Reserve are much easier to justify with the companion fares and Mileage Boost (soon to be replaced with Status Boost; great for those that spend $75k/$100k on Platinum or $90k/$120k on Reserve annually, but not so good for those of us in the $25k/$50k and $30k/$60k spend levels).

Message 14 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Also, I love you guys.  Heart

I'll contact Gilbert Gottfried's agent to see if he can do the audio book.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I will see if they will at least give me 10k retention offer. If so, I will hold for another year, otherwise I will downgrade. 10k skypesos isn't that valuable, I am fine without it.

I fly delta alot for work, but I pretty much only fly one fixed route on delta, and I don't live near delta hub, delta perks (checked bags, companion cert) are completely useless to me right now.

Message 16 of 22
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm logged in the Amex site it lists the platinum as a new card with an SUB. If I'm logged out, it shows it as "Request an Upgrade" with no offer.

This is correct. Think of your data as something that is stored in two levels:

1. Client-side (your computer)

2. Server-side (AMEX's servers)

AMEX stores "some" data, including your cards, in the Client-side. This is why AMEX knows which cards you have even if you are signed out. Your browser always has this data, unless you clear it. (In Incognito, this data is automatically cleared when you close it. This is why Incognito always show you general public offers). Your browser knows your cards, and based on their [arguably] flawed business logic, shows an upgrade link on all the cards you have that can be upgraded. It does not really know whether or not you are eligible.

When you sign in, AMEX authenticates you and creates a temporary session for you. It acquires all your data from their servers (server-side). This includes how long you have had your card and more personalized offers. This is how it determines that your card is not one year yet, and so, you are not eligible for an upgrade — and instead shows a new application link.

They do this so they do not store all your data on your computer (security and privacy). But then you can still view basic info and details about your cards (even if you are signed out, you can still see the "my cards" section of their website).

AMEX: "It's not a bug. It's a feature".

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

They do this so they do not store all your data on your computer (security and privacy). But then you can still view basic info and details about your cards (even if you are signed out, you can still see the "my cards" section of their website).

Thank you for going to the effort of writing such a detailed and informative answer.

Message 18 of 22
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for going to the effort of writing such a detailed and informative answer.

This was a source of confusion for me as well. My Marriott card's upgrade link keeps appearing and disappearing. This is when I started to observe and figure out what's going on.

Anyway, I was eventually able to upgrade my Bonvoy card before the anniversary. I think AMEX went around the one-year requirement by deciding to charge me one month after my anniversary date, even though I was upgraded immediately. (I got the card 08 NOV 2018. Upgraded 01 NOV 2019. AMEX will only still charge me the lower AF on my NOV-DEC statement, and charge an adjusted higher AF in late December. I was confused why they would not charge me immediately, but then it's probably as what @  pointed out: they cannot raise my AF... yet).

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I cancelled anyway, my Gold card that I got on a first-year free offer, renewed in September at 195 rather than 250

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.