cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Amex Everyday cards—how will closing effect credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 Amex Everyday cards—how will closing effect Aaoa?

The $500 ED card is unlikely to come with any SUBs.  When you're in Amex's version of "credit steps" you don't get the sign up bonus.

@Anonymous wrote:
If you can meet the sign up bonus for each card you should keep both of them for now. Unless you call them and they cancel and don’t report one of the cards, I have no idea how likely that is. Assuming your offer is 10,000 points for $1,000 in 90 days and Amex gives it to you, you could end up with 20,000 points which would be nice. You will only be able to change to the EveryDay Preferred card which has a fee, at least that is what I was told. I wanted to change my bce to EveryDay and they said I could only change to Bce preferred.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. They will not combine the limits because “it has to be 1k and over to reallocate that is our policy etc” Also not allowed to get signup bonus twice.

I cancelled the card in anger at the 2k limit right after approval. Called the next morning to reinstate, was told to apply again, reinstatement wasn’t possible. Did that, got the 500 limit (now super enraged of course) and again asked to reinstate the first card. Supervisor approved right away. Pretty pissed at AMEX honestly. Right after I called to see if I could reallocate the limit from one card to another, and they denied the request, they approved a balance transfer I no longer needed or wanted. **bleep** this company!

I love Discover so far.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree wholeheartedly but the card was hard-won so I’m keeping it for now.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not really sure what there is to be angry about, you applied for the same card twice by accident I assume, and then they denied your request to combine based on their policies, you could have tried to get a cli on the lower card In the future and then combined them(which is your same option now.) But I am totally confused as to why you applied for the same card for a third time when you originally posted on what you should do about two approvals in the first place?
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was not by accident. It was because I was told they couldn’t reinstate a card that was closed mere hours before, and to app again.

I only applied twice. Angry because this card is marketed as a balance transfer card and the low limit renders it useless for that purpose.
Message 15 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

A few important things to consider:

• When people apply for a card with the intention of doing a balance transfer, they usually do not receive a starting line that covers what they need, or at least not without heavily utilizing the card. 
  • I've learned the hard way that with balance transfers, always do them manually after you have been approved rather than during the application process.  When I applied for my Discover it card a few years back, I put in a request for a $15,000 balance transfer from another card during the application.  My starting line was a mere $3500, and a few weeks after getting the card and running about $1300 or so through it, Discover decided to do a partial $1900 balance transfer and even though it said my first statement closing date was still a month away, they reported my balance mid-cycle with it almost completely maxed out!
  • Amex cards can and do grow very quickly (although not always as quickly as some of us would like).  DW had very good scores, an AAoA of about 13 years, 1 new account in 2 years, and either 1 or 2 INQs on EX when she applied for her ED.  They approved her for only $2,000.  But 61 days later, that card was at $4,000.  By the 8 month mark it was at $12,000 and by the 14 month mark it was at $32,000.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.